Changing Fsb Disables My Sound?

Akutarou23

My friend asked me to post this so here goes :

I have a 3.0Ghz intel pentium4 cpu but it says that its running at a 2.5 Ghz /fsb166. I changed it manually in bios to 200 FSB and it runz at 3.0Ghz but now my onboard sound card wont work so I changed it back and the sound works again. What is wrong? why does my sound go away when I changed my FSB

HELP MEEEEEEEEE

TIA

Onboard sound often has problems if the mobo is being overclocked. Certainly the cpu isn't being overclocked, but it sounds to me like the mobo doesn't support 200fsb fully. I know that a lot of 133fsb mobos (for the 533 p4 chips) would go all the way up to 166fsb for overclocking purposes. Coincientally, the cpu defaulted to 166fsb. What mobo does he have?

Same as mine

MSI 865p -NEO

Why does it show a lower clockspeed than what he's suppose to have? It's showing a 2.5 ghz internal clock instead of the 3.0

and the BIOS setting is at 166 but it says that at 3.0 ghz it's suppose to be @ 200 and up

Edited by Akutarou23

When he puts it at 200 FSB is it stable??? or is sound the only thing your loseing??? has he checked for driver updates or checked the main borad web page for what the main board supports? http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mai...ail.php?UID=432 http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mai...ail.php?UID=432

It can support up to Pentium 4 Northwood 3.06GHz

Onboard sound often has problems if the mobo is being overclocked.
must be an intel thing. Edited by Grandmasterlarry

I'm with ayokona on the south-bridge thing. It's clear that the problem is somehow related to the fsb increase...Heat seems like the obvious answer. Try just pointing a fan straight at the southbridge, or sticking some ramsinks on it or something. Worth a shot.