Realtek vs. Via

Miek

In the beginning, I'll be using onboard sound + a lousy pair of 2.0 channel speakers. However, I'll later upgrade to an actual sound card and some nice 2.1 or maybe 5.1 speakers.

Anyway. Which is the "better" audio chipset manufacturer? Realtek or Via?

I noticed that ASUS uses Via on a lot of their boards. However, I also read that the P7P55D Pro (that uses a Via audio chipset) actually has very decent onboard sound. At the same time, though, I've read that Via has problems with Windows 7 ... [confirm/deny]?

Also, each company has "HD" audio chipsets. Are they actually any good? Or would I be better getting an actual sound card regardless?

IMO, Via has a very basic and feature-sparse driver, whereas Realtek has a driver that provides features and controls similar to a full soundcard.

Most of the Realtek HD onboard audio is ok to me... it's not noisy or poor quality, and would be alright for short- to medium-term use for me, and certainly long-term use for most people.

If the rest of your audio equipment is decent, get a soundcard... if you just have some little plastic computer speakers, you'd barely benefit from upgrading from onboard Realtek HD audio.

I know it seems like a lot of people harp on the Realtek Audio Chipsets and drivers, but the chipsets they are using on most recent motherboards are actually pretty decent for casual users. As hardng pointed out, the Realtek drivers and audio control panel actually give you pretty good options and control over your audio experience.

Well, VIA doesn't make chipsets anymore, so the winner is Realtek by default.

Personally, I've always used realtek audio. It's pretty good compared to most.

Realtek Realtek Realtek.

Imo, they completely dominate VIA.

You will hear a lot about how shotty VIA drivers are, how bad the sound quality can be, etc.

Realtek has had a long time standing being the best on-board audio, and now that VIA is gone, it really has no competition.

Realtek is now standard on most, if not all, new motherboards.

Edit: However, if you are looking to get a sound card rather than compare on-board, get a Creative Labs one. Soundblaster X-Fi Fata1ity series is the best.