Need a little help with some OCing

Hey all... been out of the loop of computer builds for awhile... last one I built was back in 2006 before I joined the army.... and a lot has changed since then!

So here's my specs and just wanting some help with what I should set my settings at to get max performance (I want 100% stable so no artifacts and be able to have long load times)

Intel i7 920 cpu @ 2.67 ghz (currently)

stock cpu cooler (I have a thermaltake QT V sitting around that WOULD NOT go on... not sure why...)

EVGA x58 FTW 3 Motherboard

6GB (3 2 gb modules) Corsair Dominator ddr3

EVGA nvidia gtx 470 1280

1 TB Western Digital sata 7200 rpm

1 500 gb Western Digital sata 7200 rpm

Thermaltake 875 watt psu

antec 900 case ( 1- 200 mm fan on top, 1- 120 mm in back, 2- 120 mm by HDD's)

Win 7 64 bit Pro

So far I have successfully bumped my GPU as follows:

Core: 625 (stock is: 608)

Memory: 1701 (stock is: 1674)

Shader: 1250 (stock is: 1215)

Looking for help to overclock the graphics card further, as well as bump up the CPU and ram... preferably without voltage changes.

I'm not looking for extreme performance boosts or anything like that... but I don't want to run stock speeds!

Edit: oh and I do 3D animation for work on this machine as well as moderate gaming (Far Cry 2, Fall Out 3, etc)

My fps on Far Cry 2 is well over 70 FPS at Ultra High, 4x AA, 1920 x 1080

Crysis Warhead: 30-50 fps Enthusiast setting for all, 0x AA, 1024 by 768

Thanks!

Thanks for that link!

I have the Thermaltake VT Q cpu cooler... but I can't make it go on... anyone had any luck with those coolers?

I went on youtube.... searched all over the internet... but everyone says it goes right on!

I even took out the mobo of the case to try to snap it on... but it just won't go on... It might be defective.... I'm not sure

EDIT: another question... my BIOS allows me to slide my cpu core speed up and down without the use of multipliers and I've never seen that before...

What speed can I set the 920 to with the stock cooler without frying it? Is 3.0 ghz to high? I've read all over that people can get stable 3.4 ghz without changing voltages...

When overclocking without an unlocked multiplier, all you are doing is changing the FSB rather than increasing the multiplier.

With the 920, I would recommend trying at something low and stable first, such as 2.8 or 2.9GHz, then increase by small increments, reboot and run a stress test, and do it all over.

It will take a while but you will be pleased once it is finally done.

The 920 should get around 3.4GHz on air without voltage tweaks, but that doesn't mean you should.

Definitely upgrade the cooler and make sure you're monitoring your temps with SpeedFan or another program.

If you're not sure about a current setting, then don't do it. You're working with hundreds of dollars in technology and there is a high risk for frying.

I know everyone says to start low, but I didn't. :yucky: I started at 3.5 just for kicks, as I didn't have anything on but my OS and stress testing software, so if I had to reinstall, meh. Maybe I just got extremely lucky that I didn't ruin anything, but I also didn't increase voltages. so :dunno: