FAQ: Graphics Terminology

MrAlex

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread for generally helping people with graphics features/Options! You could also add in SSAO, (Screen space Ambient Occlusion) Bump Mapping, and possibly the different types of Antialising, such as MSAA and SSAA (multi/Super Sample) and elaborate on the differences (i was going to make a thread for that, perhaps if i went ahead with it we could combine the 2?). You covered Pixels, you could touch on Pixel shaders. dont think you'd need to go as far to cover Static and Dynamic lighting/Textures. Sorry id contribute to this more as opposed to just throwing in suggestions, but right now im starving and only have Food on my mind :P anyhow keep this thread kicking, its already helpful as is but theres always room to grow further! :)

Edit: just before i go off to eat, theres also Tesselation for us lucky DX11 card owners :evilgrin:

Great thread for generally helping people with graphics features/Options! You could also add in SSAO, (Screen space Ambient Occlusion) Bump Mapping, and possibly the different types of Antialising, such as MSAA and SSAA (multi/Super Sample) and elaborate on the differences (i was going to make a thread for that, perhaps if i went ahead with it we could combine the 2?). You covered Pixels, you could touch on Pixel shaders. dont think you'd need to go as far to cover Static and Dynamic lighting/Textures. Sorry id contribute to this more as opposed to just throwing in suggestions, but right now im starving and only have Food on my mind :P anyhow keep this thread kicking, its already helpful as is but theres always room to grow further! :)

Edit: just before i go off to eat, theres also Tesselation for us lucky DX11 card owners :evilgrin:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll add them now :thumbsup:

Do you think I should keep it as an image, to be able to keep the watermark or just plain old text? (And maybe ask an Admin/Mod to disable right-click for this thread, using HTML or the likes?) :P

Looks good! The only thing I see is you spelled "synchronization" "synchronisation". :)

I spell using British English. (I.e, the correct English ;):P)

so when you zap something with electricity, you "sap" it over there :wacko:

Haha, not really. Words are spelled with S and, words such as colour are written like that, because that way you pronounce the words correctly. For some reason, in America they decided to spell the words how you hear them, but that way you don't really pronounce them correctly.

Haha, not really. Words are spelled with S and, words such as colour are written like that, because that way you pronounce the words correctly. For some reason, in America they decided to spell the words how you hear them, but that way you don't really pronounce them correctly.

yeah that's fine but sychronization is a Z sound lol

yeah that's fine but sychronization is a Z sound lol

:rolleyes: Read what I said. 'sation' makes the sound 'zation', but it's more soft. The american way of spelling is just wrong. To say colour properly, you NEED to have the u in it, otherwise if you actually said color, it would sound like you have a speech impairment.

i think this would be the right place to ask this; what is AAA? in metro 2033 it gives the option of 4X MSAA or AAA

It stands for Analytical Anti-Aliasing. Basically it is done mathematically, and is to avoid jagged lines around an object by covering the lines with another line of pixels.

It stands for Analytical Anti-Aliasing. Basically it is done mathematically, and is to avoid jagged lines around an object by covering the lines with another line of pixels.

:huh: Isn't it Adaptive Anti-Aliasing? and i think you should use plain old text because it must be a pain for everyone (especially you) to constantly open/update the picture. besides if anyone Does plagiarise (or plagiarize :rolleyes:) your work their getting nowhere in life, and everyone here on OCC would know it's your work (and thats the majority of the computer/overclocking community!) :P

Also to bring a quick end to the whole English vs american spelling head over here to learn about the differences and why. (after all knowledge is power right?) http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwesl/egw/jones/differences.htm