Core I7 875-K Overclocking

Hi all,

I just bought a brand new Intel Core i7 875-K proc from Microcenter, got it for only $285 =D

My question is on pushing this thing to 4.4GHz+, currently I'm running it stable at 4-4.2 GHz with low voltage around 1.2-1.4v and getting idles temps between 34-37c and load around 67-75c

I have an ASUS P7P55D PRO with the latest BIOS, the issue is that when I crank this thing up to 4.4-4.5GHz it boots into windows and can run games for a bit before BSOD. I had to crank the voltage to 1.45-1.46 and temps rose to idle around 40-42c and topped out at 76-77c.

I have GSKILL PI 2200 DDR3 which seems to play a big role in this overclock because I have to keep the ratios the same. Currently I'm running the memory at 2400MHz 1.7v and the BLK is set at 200 x 20 for 4.0GHz. No matter what I do I can't get this thing to stay stable at 4.3-4.5 GHz.

Any ideas would be helpful and does anyone know where I can learn more about all the settings in the bios like IMC voltage, max temps, max voltages and such? Thanks guys, let's talk more about pushing this awesome proc to the max!!!

-ZEROKOOL

Hi all,

I just bought a brand new Intel Core i7 875-K proc from Microcenter, got it for only $285 =D

My question is on pushing this thing to 4.4GHz+, currently I'm running it stable at 4-4.2 GHz with low voltage around 1.2-1.4v and getting idles temps between 34-37c and load around 67-75c

I have an ASUS P7P55D PRO with the latest BIOS, the issue is that when I crank this thing up to 4.4-4.5GHz it boots into windows and can run games for a bit before BSOD. I had to crank the voltage to 1.45-1.46 and temps rose to idle around 40-42c and topped out at 76-77c.

I have GSKILL PI 2200 DDR3 which seems to play a big role in this overclock because I have to keep the ratios the same. Currently I'm running the memory at 2400MHz 1.7v and the BLK is set at 200 x 20 for 4.0GHz. No matter what I do I can't get this thing to stay stable at 4.3-4.5 GHz.

Any ideas would be helpful and does anyone know where I can learn more about all the settings in the bios like IMC voltage, max temps, max voltages and such? Thanks guys, let's talk more about pushing this awesome proc to the max!!!

-ZEROKOOL

Do you step your voltage? Have you tried instead of raising the voltage up .25-.06 and instead raising the multiplier? The i875 has an unlocked multiplier so you should be able to ramp it up a bit more that way.

RAM Stepping is beyond my knowledge :O

Do you step your voltage? Have you tried instead of raising the voltage up .25-.06 and instead raising the multiplier? The i875 has an unlocked multiplier so you should be able to ramp it up a bit more that way.

RAM Stepping is beyond my knowledge :O

Yup, I've been anywhere and everywhere between 1.36 and 1.48 volts and nothing seems to keep it after u pass 4.2+ GHz, I know that the multiplier is unlocked but if you have a low BLK your max ram speed is also low :(

Ccokeman just did a review on your processor not to long ago and maybe able to assist you with some of your settings.

If you could list the Bios settings you have changed so far I'm sure that would help.

Also, you get a LOT more out of the CPU overclock vs the memory speed so I wouldn't worry about pushing the ram to the max.

You have to have a stellar memory controller to run 2400Mhz stable full time. Even then its going to be tough on the memory controller. It took me over well over 1.4v to get prime stable at 4392Mhz. Been doing some testing with high memory speeds and 2400 is going to take some QPI volts in addition to the vdimm so you really are going to be hitting it hard with the cooling to match. You could drop the bclock and up the multiplier to get a 2000Mhz to 2200Mhz clock speed with tighter timings and see the same performance as 2400Mhz with looser timings. 2400Mhz and above is not a daily overclock, the payoff is not there with the voltages and heat generated for full time use. Now if thats just for benching then you open up a whole new world of possibilities.

My testing has been on the Max III Formula and P7P55D Deluxe and i get pretty much the same result

You have to have a stellar memory controller to run 2400Mhz stable full time. Even then its going to be tough on the memory controller. It took me over well over 1.4v to get prime stable at 4392Mhz. Been doing some testing with high memory speeds and 2400 is going to take some QPI volts in addition to the vdimm so you really are going to be hitting it hard with the cooling to match. You could drop the bclock and up the multiplier to get a 2000Mhz to 2200Mhz clock speed with tighter timings and see the same performance as 2400Mhz with looser timings. 2400Mhz and above is not a daily overclock, the payoff is not there with the voltages and heat generated for full time use. Now if thats just for benching then you open up a whole new world of possibilities.

My testing has been on the Max III Formula and P7P55D Deluxe and i get pretty much the same result

K this is a vantage run i did at 4.2GHz today with 2400MHz Ram at 9-11-9-28-2N @ 1.7 volts fully stable no heat issues. The proc needs 1.43-1.44v to be fully stable at these settings, I'll try to get it back to 4.4-4.5 right now and report my full bios settings in a few mins. Thanks guys, more screens to come also =)

post-72079-12759672979839_thumb.png

K this is a vantage run i did at 4.2GHz today with 2400MHz Ram at 9-11-9-28-2N @ 1.7 volts fully stable no heat issues. The proc needs 1.43-1.44v to be fully stable at these settings, I'll try to get it back to 4.4-4.5 right now and report my full bios settings in a few mins. Thanks guys, more screens to come also =)

Just watch that voltage man. LGA 1156 have been known to go up in smoke with that kind of voltage. Nice clocks though :D You shouldn't worry so much about the ram speed, if you can go higher on the CPU and not the ram I say schoose the CPU any day. Those are just my thoughts.

Well this is very interesting, I'm running the proc at 4.2GHz 1.40v with RAM at 2000MHz 6-9-6-24-2N 1.65v and the damn thing works better and gets a higher vantage score to the cpu lol!!! I wonder why that is? I guess going above this needs a better colling solution though =( Also, Sandra shows that the ram's bandwidth is less with the 2000MHz ram settings around 25.6gbps and with the 2400MHz it showed close to 28gbps (Daaaaammmm) both had latency of about 49ns weird that this gets better results though eh? Time to try some more stuff =) Keep this thread going if you can think of stuff that might help? One last thing, anyone know where I can find the info on the bios things I mentioned before?

-ZEROKOOL

post-72079-1276048564376_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

I've had my i7 860 (multi locked at 22) up to 4.8 one time (on air) and I just barely got into windows for a suicide screen shot BUT I was giving the cpu almost 1.6 volts in order to do so. I run it 24/7 stable right at 4.2 @ 1.450V and thats as far as i'll push it 24/7 thats probably still a little high but oh well I like the performance. You could run cinebench 11.5 to test ur cpu performance its alot faster then 3dmark vantage anyway.