Install doubble grafic cards

Isis

Greatings all

I would be very glad for som assistance on how to install my two new grafic cards into my Dell XPS 710.

The cards are placed in there but I am unshure on the cables to attatch and where...

I have mounted the two 6 pin contacts on one of the cards (just like on the old card), but have none for the other card...

If anyone could find me a picture on how to do this right, I would be very hapy. Are they also to be connected?

I´ve heard something about SLI - is this relevant here?

Many thanks

/Isis

post-71886-12743056596704_thumb.jpg

you NEED power connectors for the other card as well. if your power supply does not have two more there are adaptors, but your system probably cannot support the cards if that is the case.

To connect the two in SLI, remove one of those blue caps from each card and connect them with an SLI bridge.

From what I have gleened the Dell XPS 710 had several graphics card options and a 1000W power supply. Does it only have two 6 pin PCI-E connectors and does it indeed have a 1000W power supply because if that's the case then that's ridiculous. You'll have no option but to use 4 pin peripheral to 6 pin PCI-E adapters but use one adapter per card and see how it runs (I'm not a fan of adapter cables especially on powerful gfx cards). If the power supply is rated at 1000W and only has two 6 pin PCI-E then I suspect you won't get the full 1000W but I could be wrong. The better option in my opinion is to purchase another quality power supply with the required PCI-E connectors.

You'll need two 4 pin to PCI-E 6 pin adapters

and an SLI bridge between the 2 cards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200106

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815121010&cm_re=sli_bridge-_-15-121-010-_-Product

Shop around though as there are surely better prices elsewhere

post-31286-12743130156642_thumb.jpg

post-31286-12743130387284_thumb.jpg

Those look like GTX 260's from the pic, and I know I had 2 x 4870 CF running off of a Rocketfish 700W PSU, now I use it on my test bench, and have had up to 4 x 4870 running in Quadfire off of it. I had read good and bad things about that PSU, but I have had nothing but good luck with it! I'm pretty sure that the SLI rating on the 260's is 700W also, not for sure on that as I am an ATI guy, so a decent 1000W PSU if that is what you have should be fine!

Also, I know that the tests and reviews say 1 bridge is all you need, but if you have 2, I would use em both! But, who knows, maybe I just use 2 CF bridges for "cool points" :D

Greatings All

And a big thnk you for all your answers!

Now i know how to do it - I´ll go out and shop for the cabls taday and

let you know well it´s al up and running.

:thumbsup2:

sorry for the spelling (think I need a new keeboard too!) :whoa: