Lapping or not

IMO Yes it can be beneficial if done properly, yes it can produce a bad result if done wrong, a decent HSF makes it unnecssary if you are going for a mild to decent overclock. A water cooling setup probably makes it unnecessary if going for a more larger overclock. I think its one of those things you do when you are trying absolutely everything to get the temps down or just because you can. In most cases it is just not necessary.

HDWizards original post asked "Due to the design/build of this unit I was wondering what your thoughts were on lapping it before install. I do not plan on heavy OC, just enough to boost performance.

x4 955 chip. "

An OC just enough to boost performance does not need lapping. Avoid the risk now, and try it later if the cooling setup doesn't cut the mustard, although I would try a better cooling solution before lapping.

do not lap the CPU if you do not know how to use power tools properly

what I mean by not knowing how to use power tools properly is I mean if this is your first time lapping a computer part or any part in general or holding any type of sanding machine for the first time

keep in mind

the cooler master 212 plus is not a single block

do not lap the heatpipes lower than the block on accident

I do not advise you do any lapping at all unless you have enough money to replace the parts

do not lap the CPU if you do not know how to use power tools properly

what I mean by not knowing how to use power tools properly is I mean if this is your first time lapping a computer part or any part in general or holding any type of sanding machine for the first time

keep in mind

the cooler master 212 plus is not a single block

do not lap the heatpipes lower than the block on accident

I do not advise you do any lapping at all unless you have enough money to replace the parts

NEVER lap using power tools. That's asking for trouble. I lapped my E8500 by hand, going through the various grits (up to 2000 and then a little bit of the 8000 stuff for the mirror finish). Didn't take too long, and even with a heat pipe cooler produced a significant temperature drop (6 degrees). Don't forget to put even less TIM on there if you lap, as not as many cracks will be there for it to fill.

Might I recommend lapping AFTER you verify that it works?

[/

Well thank god someone decided to say that... +100 For you good fellow.

I have lapped a Cpu Before, Lapped the cooler, then Lapped Them Both at once. All the Same resolve, not worth it. The time invested in lapping a Cpu can be Painful and take hours. and If you screw up there isnt anything you can do. I think If the system needs to be cooler then it is under full load then its time to either go watercooling or get a better Heatsink all together. That will At least Yield alot more then 4-5c temperature reduction and you wont viod any warrenties. Except if you get it wet. lol

My 2 cents.