X58 Upgrade

Hello All, this is my 1st post in this forum, joined about 5 minutes ago, due to the wealth of info I've got from here in the last month.

N E Ways, I'm taking the i7 plunge with the following specs and would like to know everyone's input and suggestions as to what you would change to, and stay away from. I've done alot of research on the components I've picked but I'm open to changes. The only component I've actually purchased is the i7 930 CPU, got a good deal couldn't pass it up: $199 for an i7 930!

Upgrade System Core Components:

CPU: i7 930

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

Ram: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 **Should I go Cas 7 or 8? what are the benefits of each?**

the rest of my system will stay as is. I'd really like some input on the Ram... I'm not sure what is the best clock or Cas.. which is more important?

Thanks in advance guys!

-BiGg RiE-

Hello All, this is my 1st post in this forum, joined about 5 minutes ago, due to the wealth of info I've got from here in the last month.

N E Ways, I'm taking the i7 plunge with the following specs and would like to know everyone's input and suggestions as to what you would change to, and stay away from. I've done alot of research on the components I've picked but I'm open to changes. The only component I've actually purchased is the i7 930 CPU, got a good deal couldn't pass it up: $199 for an i7 930!

Upgrade System Core Components:

CPU: i7 930

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

Ram: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 **Should I go Cas 7 or 8? what are the benefits of each?**

the rest of my system will stay as is. I'd really like some input on the Ram... I'm not sure what is the best clock or Cas.. which is more important?

Thanks in advance guys!

-BiGg RiE-

I basically did the same thing. I was running a Phenom II 965 with SocketAM3+. I am not looking back. The i7 930 which I also have pwn's the Phenoms and looks like it is still better than the new AMD 6 cores. Cas 7 is tighter timings and I would go with that.

I basically did the same thing. I was running a Phenom II 965 with SocketAM3+. I am not looking back. The i7 930 which I also have pwn's the Phenoms and looks like it is still better than the new AMD 6 cores. Cas 7 is tighter timings and I would go with that.

Thanks for the reply! Your system is pretty ill! you're running Water on your cpu right? and it's running @ 4.5.. what's the highest you think I'd get on air with a decent fan heatsink? Not sure how much of an overclock i want.. but I would like to be able to game on max or very high @ 1080p (Metro 2033, Crysis, etc...)... I'm thinking I'll eventually upgrade to one of those 980's at some point.. and add another 5770... for crossfire...or amybe even trade up for a more powerful single card solution... but that will most likely be once Intel launches their new socket in 2011.

Lataz,

Thanks for the reply! Your system is pretty ill! you're running Water on your cpu right? and it's running @ 4.5.. what's the highest you think I'd get on air with a decent fan heatsink? Not sure how much of an overclock i want.. but I would like to be able to game on max or very high @ 1080p (Metro 2033, Crysis, etc...)... I'm thinking I'll eventually upgrade to one of those 980's at some point.. and add another 5770... for crossfire...or amybe even trade up for a more powerful single card solution... but that will most likely be once Intel launches their new socket in 2011.

Lataz,

IMO although I haven't tried air, decent air should yield 4.2Ghz easily and maybe 4.3.

Hey Guys I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this thing.. but I'm having some issues with ram selection:

what would yield better preformance I'm thinking the performance ranking is how I have them numbered 1 being best performance is this correct?

1 = 6GB 2x3 kit 1600 cas 7 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231335

2 = 6GB 2x3 kit 1300 cas 7 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220369&Tpk=Patriot%20PVT36G1333ELK

3 = 6GB 2x3 kit 1600 cas 8 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220363&Tpk=PATRIOT%20PVT36G1600LLK

note: the reason I have opt#2 listed as cas 7 is because It's been stated by the posted user reviews that it clocks to that very easily, which is how I would configure it in my build.

also is there a huge difference in performance from numbers 1 & 3 above.. or am I unlikely to notice it?

Thanks, quick responses are appreciated as I'm trying to buy in the next few minutes,THANKS!

Edited by BiGg RiE

Ok Guys, it's Goin Down!

Rig:

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231335

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 58a%20ud3r

Just ordered the Ram & Mobo from Newegg! Can't Wait... wish me luck.

I'll post build impression and benchmarks once I get it up and running.. I'm going Windows 7 Ultimate x64. This will be my 1st upgrade since XP SPK3, little nervous about Windows 7 but I've gotten nothing but rave reviews about it, unlike what I heard and experienced with Vista.

-BiGg RiE-

Same here, with the not looking back on my i7 upgrade! And, when it comes to all around processing power the i7 does own the 965! But, when it comes to actual gaming, if you are a gamer, then the difference is TINY!

IMO although I haven't tried air, decent air should yield 4.2Ghz easily and maybe 4.3.

The i7 930 will easily go over 4GHz, and to the above clocks on a good air cooler!

When I 1st got my i7, I felt like I switched to the "Dark Side" :) But, I couldn't be happier with it!

• 2 weeks later...

Build Done!!!

Build = 1 hour :)

Windows 7 ultimate x64 = 25minutes (from "Press any Key to Boot from CD" to clicking the start menu on the desktop) :)

Some benchmark Numbers thus far:

3DMark Vantage Entry = 30951 @ Stock :)

3DMark Vantage Performance = 11118 @ Stock :)

3DMark Vantage High = 6927 @ Stock :)

3DMark 06 Pro 1280 x 1024 = 16402 @ Stock

3DMark 06 Pro 1280 x 1024 = 17895 @ 3.1Ghz CPU | 960 / 1445 = XFX 5770 O/C :)

I must say that I'm pretty impressed with these numbers, especially seeing as how they are with stock clocks... and the intel HSF.

Can't wait to push this thing. :)

Will report back more when I have it! Thanks again guys for all the help and guidance! :) Oh and I gotta say I absolutely Love Windows 7 it's pretty freakin awesome so far

Lataz,

BiGg RiE