Made a Film in 48 Hours (not for the politically sensitive)

tsamb.

Howsit going y'all? A couple weekends ago we took part in a film competition where you have 48 hours to write, shoot and edit a short film. You get given a genre, a character, a character trait, a prop, a line of dialogue and a camera shot that you must incorporate into your film. You get given all of this stuff on Friday at 7pm and must hand in your film not a second later than 7pm on the Sunday. We got second place as an audience favourite in our heat (out of 19 heats) but we didn't make the city finals.

The required elements were: Genre "$ex Educational Movie", Character and trait "Sydney Manson, a fabricator", Prop "a broken toy", Line of dialogue "when you look at it that way", Camera shot "dolly zoom, aka 'Vertigo' zoom".

This is what we came up with:

http://www.v48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2...the-missionary/

BE FOREWARNED IT IS RATED AT LEAST M FOR MATURE.

Please comment on what you think of it here and/or there.

As for the techy side of stuff which I know is what you're all here for:

We shot exclusively on a Canon 5D Mark II. We had a shotgun mic mounted on the Canon.

We used a Sony Z1P or similar for getting separate sound (from a boom mic via XLR into the Sony) and we synched that sound up in post. We only ended up synching about half of the sound because we ran out of time.

If anyone's interested I'm happy to share any other techy-details anyone wants to know about the shoot itself or workflow in post etc.

Note that the copy that is online now is just an SD copy (because we had to hand it in in SD), but eventually we'll export it to 1080p and upload that.

But primarily, I'd love it if you guys watched the film and gave us some feedback/comments/critiques etc!

Edited by tsamb.

i enjoyed, can't really say much but was funny while had a certain lesson behind

while it did try to convey a message, it did always have that feeling about being funny, but in the end you guys were obviously aiming for that first anyways

i enjoyed, can't really say much but was funny while had a certain lesson behind

while it did try to convey a message, it did always have that feeling about being funny, but in the end you guys were obviously aiming for that first anyways

While we were writing we had thought about right at the end of it, pulling away from a TV in a class full of kids, all with their jaws dropped, as if they had all just watched it. We ended up deciding that since that was a) a bit cliche and b) hard to pull off without a classroom or kids, that we would just leave it as it was.

We were also trying to aim for a bit of a novel approach on the "$ex Ed" theme. The classic $ex ed movies that the organisers were expecting were the politically correct "birds and the bees" movies that play in middle school. We thought about going that route, but decided that we should try something fresh and away from what was expected.

Thanks for your comments!

Edited by tsamb.

While we were writing we had thought about right at the end of it, pulling away from a TV in a class full of kids, all with their jaws dropped, as if they had all just watched it. We ended up deciding that since that was a) a bit cliche and b) hard to pull off without a classroom or kids, that we would just leave it as it was.

We were also trying to aim for a bit of a novel approach on the "$ex Ed" theme. The classic $ex ed movies that the organisers were expecting were the politically correct "birds and the bees" movies that play in middle school. We thought about going that route, but decided that we should try something fresh and away from what was expected.

Thanks for your comments!

Really good. I enjoyed.

Really good. I enjoyed.

Heh, thanks. A fellow kiwi?

Are you watching the best of genre films this week on C4 at 10:30pm? I watched last night's episode but missed Monday's.

I think they're going for a couple of weeks.

There were some pretty damned good films made this year...

Heh, thanks. A fellow kiwi?

Are you watching the best of genre films this week on C4 at 10:30pm? I watched last night's episode but missed Monday's.

I think they're going for a couple of weeks.

There were some pretty damned good films made this year...

Haven't seen any. Normally in bed by then as have early work. Will check them out and set Tivo to record.

Haven't seen any. Normally in bed by then as have early work. Will check them out and set Tivo to record.

If nothing else, make sure you catch the 17th, 18th and 19th of March. That's when the City Winners and Peter Jackson Wildcard films are played. And since there were 650 entries this year, they should have been culled out to such a degree that those ones will be the best of the best.

There's more info at http://www.v48hours.co.nz/2010/48tv/ or on the C4 website. (Oh and if you missed the first few that screened on TV, I think they are on the C4 website, too.)