is really even possible to overclock

i have been on this forum before and i got another issue fixede so i am just going to come here for all my oc needs.

I just want to know if is it really possible to have a stable overclock. these are my pc specs. 850W xion PSU, 4gb Dominator 1333 RAM, ASUS formula III MOBO, 3.4Ghz phenom II 965, hd r5770 hawk.

my problem lays with the video card. whenever i overclock after awhile the driver stops working so my question is is it really possible to overclock without the driver crashing. my MSI box say 20% OC with afterburner and what it should say is "if your driver will do it" i have catalist 10.4 everything is up to date i have no virusus, just got new RAM sticks yesturday and this happened also with the old RAM sticks. so why the hell does my driver crash. i only have about a 17% oc on my card 1000core 1300mem. i see people posting 30% and sometimes 80% overclocks on there GPU and i honestly dont beleive it. just for the fact i cant even overclock to 20% without the driver crashing. i have reinstalled the driver multiple times i even went out and reinstalled Windows 7, still nothing. is there a driver that actually works that someone could reccomend. also i have no heat issues and my vaultages are at 1300

Edited by Cry_Monster

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You shouldn't expect the same results as someone else. Even if you have the same hardware, the "internals" come from a different batch of the same cpus (during manufacturing) Start at your own pace. Slowly work your way up until you reach stability issues. Good luck! :)

Edited by damian

You shouldn't expect the same results as someone else. Even if you have the same hardware, the "internals" come from a different batch of the same cpus (during manufacturing) Start at your own pace. Slowly work your way up until you reach stability issues. Good luck! :)

this clock is as stable as my stock clocks. even my stock clocks driver crashes somtimes. so anotherwords what you are saying is that i bought some of the best overclocking hardware money can buy for the AMD family and i cant fully utilize it because ATI cant make a decent driver. or mine came from a bad batch.

Edited by Cry_Monster

i have been on this forum before and i got another issue fixede so i am just going to come here for all my oc needs.

I just want to know if is it really possible to have a stable overclock. these are my pc specs. 850W xion PSU, 4gb Dominator 1333 RAM, ASUS formula III MOBO, 3.4Ghz phenom II 965, hd r5770 hawk.

my problem lays with the video card. whenever i overclock after awhile the driver stops working so my question is is it really possible to overclock without the driver crashing. my MSI box say 20% OC with afterburner and what it should say is "if your driver will do it" i have catalist 10.4 everything is up to date i have no virusus, just got new RAM sticks yesturday and this happened also with the old RAM sticks. so why the hell does my driver crash. i only have about a 17% oc on my card 1000core 1300mem. i see people posting 30% and sometimes 80% overclocks on there GPU and i honestly dont beleive it. just for the fact i cant even overclock to 20% without the driver crashing. i have reinstalled the driver multiple times i even went out and reinstalled Windows 7, still nothing. is there a driver that actually works that someone could reccomend. also i have no heat issues and my vaultages are at 1300

Yes is is always possible to have a stable OC but results very dramatically. I havent seen a cpu/gpu that wasnt able to OC at all but i have seen a few CPU that barely get 400mhz. Without a lot of info on your system OC i cant say to much for sure. Assuming your changing your ram was an attempt to fix your driver crashing I can say that is a good place to start. Drivers crashing can be a sign of memory instability for sure. Do you have your entire system OCed? It may help to start eliminating variables by OCing individual components individually and even divide the GPU up instead of attempting the entire at once so as to find the limiting factor.

As you should know their are silicon varies from chip to chip, gpu to gpu, even in memory. Some do much better then others. Some dont get far at all in OCing. All they have to do is function properly in the rating they are sold in. I dont think their are very many ppl getting 80% overclocks but i wouldnt say they cant exist. very very doubtful they would on air alone. If you take it slow and isolate the areas individually, tweaking ever so tediously all that is available to you until no more can be then you end up with: you get what you get and no more. Whatever it may be. Results vary.

Yes is is always possible to have a stable OC but results very dramatically. I havent seen a cpu/gpu that wasnt able to OC at all but i have seen a few CPU that barely get 400mhz. Without a lot of info on your system OC i cant say to much for sure. Assuming your changing your ram was an attempt to fix your driver crashing I can say that is a good place to start. Drivers crashing can be a sign of memory instability for sure. Do you have your entire system OCed? It may help to start eliminating variables by OCing individual components individually and even divide the GPU up instead of attempting the entire at once so as to find the limiting factor.

As you should know their are silicon varies from chip to chip, gpu to gpu, even in memory. Some do much better then others. Some dont get far at all in OCing. All they have to do is function properly in the rating they are sold in. I dont think their are very many ppl getting 80% overclocks but i wouldnt say they cant exist. very very doubtful they would on air alone. If you take it slow and isolate the areas individually, tweaking ever so tediously all that is available to you until no more can be then you end up with: you get what you get and no more. Whatever it may be. Results vary.

all i have is my GPU oc nothing else. i also had this same problem with 2 nvidia products as well. every GPU i have evered owned has had this problem. and i cant figure out what i am missing. i personaly think this is a user error on my part due to the fact i am not a big GPU overclocker more of a cpu one but until i get my stock cooler replaced for my cpu its not going to oced. besides the r5770 hawk is one if not the best overclocking 5770 on the market, so why does the driver consistantly crash with a gpu that should handle a 20% oc with no problem. another thing is is that this is a driver error so how is hardware involved?

Edited by Cry_Monster

all i have is my GPU oc nothing else. i also had this same problem with 2 nvidia products as well. every GPU i have evered owned has had this problem. and i cant figure out what i am missing. i personaly think this is a user error on my part due to the fact i am not a big GPU overclocker more of a cpu one but until i get my stock cooler replaced for my cpu its not going to oced. besides the r5770 hawk is one if not the best overclocking 5770 on the market, so why does the driver consistantly crash with a gpu that should handle a 20% oc with no problem. another thing is is that this is a driver error so how is hardware involved?

Uhm strange indeed. Lets bring some light to me here. If the issue is at stock clocks then we got a problem. This issue has been goin on for some time with other components, correct? What has remained the same? There need be a common component to link. You had already changed your ram but kept the same motherboard so what i would do just for to be sure is test your ram exclusively. You could run memtest overnight or any other ram battery you choose. just because its new ram doesnt make it exempt from the issue. It coulde be ram timings, voltage, involving hardware any number of things. I would guess to be a ram issue especially if you get the driver crash even with everything else at stock. These other cards that have also done this, where they in the same motherboard? Was it in another system, perhaps one you had OCed? You couldve h3ad ram issues there too if it was doin it at OC. I have seen many times DDR3 not setup properly on auto. I have seen this happen on all types of ram too...

If we can find nothing causing instability in the motherboard, ram, or CPU by settings including voltage issues or even faulty components then it could be your GPU itself. I would start stress testing your system heavily and thoroughly starting with the memory. Even if the memory test causes instability it doesnt mean its necessary bad as the memory controller and even mobo can cause the errors too. It only gives you the next step of elimination. So just somewhere to start with. Let me know where it stands. I keep bak checking on you

Uhm strange indeed. Lets bring some light to me here. If the issue is at stock clocks then we got a problem. This issue has been goin on for some time with other components, correct? What has remained the same? There need be a common component to link. You had already changed your ram but kept the same motherboard so what i would do just for to be sure is test your ram exclusively. You could run memtest overnight or any other ram battery you choose. just because its new ram doesnt make it exempt from the issue. It coulde be ram timings, voltage, involving hardware any number of things. I would guess to be a ram issue especially if you get the driver crash even with everything else at stock. These other cards that have also done this, where they in the same motherboard? Was it in another system, perhaps one you had OCed? You couldve h3ad ram issues there too if it was doin it at OC. I have seen many times DDR3 not setup properly on auto. I have seen this happen on all types of ram too...

If we can find nothing causing instability in the motherboard, ram, or CPU by settings including voltage issues or even faulty components then it could be your GPU itself. I would start stress testing your system heavily and thoroughly starting with the memory. Even if the memory test causes instability it doesnt mean its necessary bad as the memory controller and even mobo can cause the errors too. It only gives you the next step of elimination. So just somewhere to start with. Let me know where it stands. I keep bak checking on you

well i actually got an email back from ATI and they told me that theye have been having some issues with the 10.3/10.4 drivers and they said they are working on a fix. i have already run a 48 hour stresstest on the GPU and CPU and there were no issues. i ran a mem scan the day i got the ram and there were no issues. i completley forgot to mention that this only happens with some games not all of them. i can play crysis and metro 2033 for hours and be fine but when i play games like minecraft (i know its a baby game but its fun to ply) i get driver crashes. mabee i will just OC when i need to and not keep it oced. and the other GPUs were all on seperate computers.

could raising my PCI-E frequencie in Overdrive from 100Mhz to more mhz help.

Edited by Cry_Monster

I'm not familiar with the AMD boards, but I do know it's generally not a good idea to change the PCI-E frequency. I haven't looked up why, but that's what I've gathered over the years.

Changing the PCI-E frequency can corrupt your hard drives, so I wouldn't mess with it.

well so far i did rais the PCI-E frequency from 100 to 110 and so far no crashes. i dont know if that is a coincidence or if it actually helped. i have run 3dmark 06 about 25 times nonstop and no crashes. and if its not suposed to be touched what the hell is it for? the AMD guy said it was a overclocking tool.

U better be careful with that PCI-E dude. No crashes doesn't mean much. You could still corrupt your hard drives and who knows what else. It's said that the pcie can be tampered with but only slightly. I suggest you not try to push it any further than 110, even go back a bit just to be sure that no accidents happen.

and if u wanna know what it's for...well I dunno...same reason I don't know what AMD's ACC is exactly for except for unlocking cores.

Edited by ballist1x