Chilled Oil cooling

This has been an idea by many and it won't work. Oil is thicker than water and your pump will not plain handle it. You will still get condensation and chilling water has the same effect. I would give this idea up.

This has been an idea by many and it won't work. Oil is thicker than water and your pump will not plain handle it. You will still get condensation and chilling water has the same effect. I would give this idea up.

Most immersion rigs run some form of oil. The problem with distilled water is that it is very easy to contaminate and make it conductive.

But I do agree that using oil won't change your condensation problem.

Think ppl are missing the idea. Iam NOT pumping the oil. Iam going to fill a tank and put the full Mobo GPU PSU into that. The only oil thats going to be pumped will be round my cooler. NOT via blocks. Its 1/2inc tube. O and its not oil like ppl are thinking its Mieral oil its not much thicker than water.

Edited by Danny_75

Think ppl are missing the idea. Iam NOT pumping the oil. Iam going to fill a tank and put the full Mobo GPU PSU into that. The only oil thats going to be pumped will be round my cooler. NOT via blocks. Its 1/2inc tube. O and its not oil like ppl are thinking its Mieral oil its not much thicker than water.

I was looking at doing that for a while, but when you have to fix/replace something it get's pretty messy, and most say you still want to seal the cpu socket (something about at certin frequencies the oil could conduct or something.. can't remember exactly off hand).

from what I read they just put a decent air cooler on the cpu with a fan to help move the oil through the fins and take the cover off the psu. maybe a fan or 2 to circulate the oil around and an external rad to cool the oil..but oh, your going to use a chiller for that :)

I was looking at doing that for a while, but when you have to fix/replace something it get's pretty messy, and most say you still want to seal the cpu socket (something about at certin frequencies the oil could conduct or something.. can't remember exactly off hand).

from what I read they just put a decent air cooler on the cpu with a fan to help move the oil through the fins and take the cover off the psu. maybe a fan or 2 to circulate the oil around and an external rad to cool the oil..but oh, your going to use a chiller for that :)

ye thought about fitting the stock cooler to move some fuid plus a fan and piping the return past the CPU or GPU. O was also going to leave my water block on the GPU so it has a big butt peace of metal to disapate the heat. not 100% on the GPU yet,this is work in progress :)

So what do you think this will achieve? How cold do you think you can get the mineral oil???? Why go thru so much trouble? Just do phase cooling or make a slush bucket. This seems to be too much trouble to me. I guess if you want to be off the hook, try it.

So what do you think this will achieve? How cold do you think you can get the mineral oil???? Why go thru so much trouble? Just do phase cooling or make a slush bucket. This seems to be too much trouble to me. I guess if you want to be off the hook, try it.

Well tbh all i want is to stop condensation running all down my GPU and Mobo.

I think it should go around the -10mark. I am doing all this cos i cant keep painting my rig with liquid tape every 4 weeks:) its oil cool or rip the chilled water out and go back to std water, Thats not going to happen not while i have a hole in my Ar*s :)

As for Phase Change iam in the UK and you cant get them unless you ship from the US and it works out about $900 per unit (plus inport tax). Plus i need to cool the GPU. If you are woundering why not just chill the GPU,thats the main cause of the condensation.

And above all the messing about i want to crack the Vantage BM. Iam stuck around the 30/31k mark atm.(single GPU)

Edit: My water atm is giving me -9 temps (idle) so dont need a slush bucket.

Edited by Danny_75

Well tbh all i want is to stop condensation running all down my GPU and Mobo.

I think it should go around the -10mark. I am doing all this cos i cant keep painting my rig with liquid tape every 4 weeks:) its oil cool or rip the chilled water out and go back to std water, Thats not going to happen not while i have a hole in my Ar*s :)

As for Phase Change iam in the UK and you cant get them unless you ship from the US and it works out about $900 per unit (plus inport tax). Plus i need to cool the GPU. If you are woundering why not just chill the GPU,thats the main cause of the condensation.

And above all the messing about i want to crack the Vantage BM. Iam stuck around the 30/31k mark atm.(single GPU)

Edit: My water atm is giving me -9 temps (idle) so dont need a slush bucket.

Well, I would suggest this. Get a cheap mobo and cpu and try your idea on that 1st. If it works, go for it. I wish u the best and let us know what you do and the results. This is beyond my expetise.