Overclocking help?

so i have gotten a max stable over clock on my 555 (unlocked), with just using the multiplier, to 3.6Ghz. that is a 18x multiplier. stability determined by a minimum 6 hours of mprime (prime95 - i use linux so in linux its called mprime) stress test. any higher i am able to boot, but in a matter of seconds of turning on mprime, i get a black screen. equivalent of a blue screen i am guessing in windows. My temps are pretty good considering i am using stock cooling. the max out around 56C.

My question is i guess from here where do i take it to get a better overclock. I should take it back down to stock and start increasing the NB frequency, correct?or should i start increasing the volts for the CPU, mind you can't increase volts too much as of now, not until i get better HSF atleast. any help is appreciated.

you could start increasing fsb from the current multiplier, and more vcore will be needed. then you will still have to adjust settings for the NB. (still reading on the new overclocking someone correct me if i'm wrong)

u can overclock this processor even more ,the stock volts are stopping u,even if u increase the fsb or HTT u will get a black screen in the same way u got by increasing the multiplier,i would suggest to get sunbeam core contact freezer its an amazing cooler 120mm,if ur on a budget.

We need more information on Bios settings. What is hypertransport, what is NB frequency. Too high Hypertransport causes instability. Also post voltages on CPU/NB,CPU and NB. What are memory frequencies and timings and voltages????Your too vague. Anyone giving advise so far is crapshooting.

Edited by Drdeath

everything is at stock right now

NB - 2000 mhz (1.2v)

CPU - 18x 200 mhz= 3.6 ghz (1.35v)

HT - Not sure actually because in the bios it just reads as auto...

Ram - 1600 mhz 9-9-9-24 (1.5v)

does that help more?

everything is at stock right now

NB - 2000 mhz (1.2v)

CPU - 18x 200 mhz= 3.6 ghz (1.35v)

HT - Not sure actually because in the bios it just reads as auto...

Ram - 1600 mhz 9-9-9-24 (1.5v)

does that help more?

This is not enough info. Download CPUID and it will give frequencies. Your system will perform better with a higher NB frequency but you need to increase voltage a tad. Run NB 2400-2600MHz to start.

Hypertransport needs to be 2000. Lower ram frequencies until you find the chips limits to 1366MHz with stock voltage since the IMC on your chip supports 1366Mhz. This will add stability and there really is no performance gain from 1366 to 1600MHz. Raise CPU/NB to 1.3-1.35v. put NB voltage at 1.3V or auto and try 1.35-1.45v on CPU. give those settings a shot and try 3.6-3.8Ghz.

You need to read up on overclocking. It is hard to overclock a chip with most everything on auto with an AMD platform

he overclocks through the multiplier 18x200=3.6 ghz u dont need to overvolt the NB for a lite overclock like this one.

Obviously he has not posted any bios settings. What does your reply mean???? Higher NB frequency may allow him to overclock better. I am not saying 2600 or 2800 Mhz. Higher NB frequency may need a little more voltage and I am not suggesting an "Overvolt" . I have oveclocked 6 Phenoms so I know what I am saying. If you read the OP's statement he is looking for a higher overclock.

Edited by Drdeath

This is not enough info. Download CPUID and it will give frequencies. Your system will perform better with a higher NB frequency but you need to increase voltage a tad. Run NB 2400-2600MHz to start.

Hypertransport needs to be 2000. Lower ram frequencies until you find the chips limits to 1366MHz with stock voltage since the IMC on your chip supports 1366Mhz. This will add stability and there really is no performance gain from 1366 to 1600MHz. Raise CPU/NB to 1.3-1.35v. put NB voltage at 1.3V or auto and try 1.35-1.45v on CPU. give those settings a shot and try 3.6-3.8Ghz.

You need to read up on overclocking. It is hard to overclock a chip with most everything on auto with an AMD platform

one problem, and one that seems to be an issue around here, b/c it seems like i am alone in this, i use linux. Ubuntu 10.04 to be exact. and as so cpu-z and cpuid dont work in linux

i did however find a program for linux called cpuid, but everywhere i read it seems this is more to help other programs gather information, not an actual program in and of itself. i have been reading a little about overclocking, i just figured i would start with the easiest way to do it, and that is with the multiplier, but now it would seem that i have gone as far as i can with just using the multiplier, atleast as far as rock hard stability goes.

one problem, and one that seems to be an issue around here, b/c it seems like i am alone in this, i use linux. Ubuntu 10.04 to be exact. and as so cpu-z and cpuid dont work in linux

i did however find a program for linux called cpuid, but everywhere i read it seems this is more to help other programs gather information, not an actual program in and of itself. i have been reading a little about overclocking, i just figured i would start with the easiest way to do it, and that is with the multiplier, but now it would seem that i have gone as far as i can with just using the multiplier, atleast as far as rock hard stability goes.

Take some settings off auto like NB and hypertransport. Use the frequencies I recommended and not you need to toy around with it. I suggested you read up on overclocking AMD platform. Hope you have. If you cannot boot, simply do a cmos reset.

Take some settings off auto like NB and hypertransport. Use the frequencies I recommended and not you need to toy around with it. I suggested you read up on overclocking AMD platform. Hope you have. If you cannot boot, simply do a cmos reset.

should i lower the timings on my ram since i am lowering the frequency or should i let it at stock.