Overclocking AMD Phenom X4 9850

BigRed82

Before I ask about overclocking this cpu, I have a problem that's confusing me. My processor is the AMD Phenom X4 9850 and should run at 2.5ghz, correct?

In the attached image I have a screen capture of AMD Overdrive and the system information of my computer. It says that cores are running at 1253.51mHz. Shouldn't it be running faster? Every once in a while It will jump for a 1-2 seconds up to ~2500mHz. I'm very new to this but this seems strange to me. I've read other members' posts about overclocking their 9850 - even though I have yet to do that - but in their captured pictures the processors are running well above 2500mHz. Is there something I'm missing? If the computer isn't in a high load does it limit the cpu?

Sorry for the lame questions, I know. I'll probably feel like an idiot once this is answered but I want to start learning how to overclock and I didn't want to do anything before I got this figured out.

thanks for any and all responses!

post-71684-1272396015_thumb.jpg

post-71684-1272396215_thumb.jpg

post-71684-1272397496_thumb.jpg

Edited by BigRed82

This is called AMD Cool'n'Quiet, a.k.a. a power saving feature. It makes your CPU trottle when processing power isn't needed much in order to alleviate the electricity bill. You can disable this option in the BIOS.

This is called AMD Cool'n'Quiet, a.k.a. a power saving feature. It makes your CPU trottle when processing power isn't needed much in order to alleviate the electricity bill. You can disable this option in the BIOS.

Thank you!! Is this something you would recommend... disabling the Cool'n'Quiet feature?

Good luck with the chip. I had my most fun overclocking my 9850 and got it to 3.32Ghz stable!

Thanks! I'm really new to overclocking and don't know exactly what to do yet. I've upped the multiplier and it's at 2.70Ghz stable now. But I didn't want to push it before I learn more about this. I know you can up the multiplier and get it higher without manually changing the voltage.

In fact, if anyone has a good learner's guide for overclocking they could send my way that would be great. I've read a couple and some were more theory than practicality and lost me in a few places. So in essence, I need "An Idiots Guide to Overclocking"

are you using an after market cooler?

Yup. Zalman CNPS9900.

EDIT: You can do a lot more! But it's best you learn what you are changing and what can affect successful overclocks. Check out this guide:

http://www.cyb3rglitch.com/tutorials/Overclock-CPUs-RAM/

Thanks for the guide. I'm searching for the next step now. It's stable at 2.9GHz. In the BIOS there are options to up the CPUvoltage but it only gives the options of +50, +100, and +150mV. I added +50 and upped the multiplier to 14.5x. Temps at full load are at 49C.

Like I said, I'm searching for that next step. Before I was adding voltage from AMD OverDrive and it was crashing. When I added voltage from the BIOS it didn't crash. So.... maybe next I should go for 3.0GHz with the +50mV I've already added through the BIOS?