4Ghz Overclocked Core i7 930 Bundle deal

Dennis,

The Fenrir is a fine heatsink to start with. Later on if you like or need you can upgrade to like a D14 or Megahalem if needed. Temps will depend greatly on how they went about the overclock. Are they using auto or stock settings for all voltages (i.e. vcore, vdimm, qpi vtt) or have they hard set higher voltages to get to 4.0Ghz stable. Is hyperthreading enabled or disabled? Are they using Intel Turbo Mode or Speed Step?

Assuming an ambient air temp of 24C or lower you can expect idle temps on good air cooling to be in the 33 - 40C range, and full load temps under Prime95 stress test to hit 69-75C. These are just educated guesses on my part based on personal experience with the 900 series processors. The i7 930 isn't anything more than a speed binned i7 920. Silicon is the same, chip is the same, cache etc. so on and so forth.

Just another attempt by Intel to squeeze another $20 bucks out of the average Joe for a processor family that most will run 3.8 - 4.0Ghz without much effort.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews-all-5686.html#tabs-menu

give microdirect a try!

What components are voided by overclocking them?? Alot of brands (espeically the high end ones in the bundle) are made or encourage it..

Over-volting is different than overclocking :)

Well, even overclockers say you void the warranty if you use different overclock settings to the ones they already set it up with.

Gah, this sucks. The bundle got more expensive. I guess they made something else the offer of the week instead. Basically the same only with a different make of ram, different motherboard, and much higher price for some reason.

Hm.

I found another bundle that looks good.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....339&subcat=

It's pretty much identical apart from it's an i7 920 D0 instead of an i7 930 D0.

Shouldn't the performance be pretty much identical if they're both at 4Ghz already?

The price is quite a lot lower now that the 930 bundle isn't reduced in price anymore.

Should I go for the 920?

Edited by dennis.resevfan

I wouldn't worry about voiding any warranty. I have yet to see ANYONE kill their hardware at 4Ghz. Don't be passive about this. It will be fine. see what happened by waiting??? The deal looks off.

Edited by Drdeath

I wouldn't worry about voiding any warranty. I have yet to see ANYONE kill their hardware at 4Ghz. Don't be passive about this. It will be fine. see what happened by waiting??? The deal looks off.

I had no choice but to wait. I had to ask my dad whether he was willing to buy the thing and have me pay him back when my next paycheck arrives.

Yes, the deal is off.

My quesiton now is whether the Core i7 920 bundle is worth getting at the current price. Surely the performance would be exactly the same as the 930?

Or is there something that I don't know about? (Such as it running cooler or something like that?)

I had no choice but to wait. I had to ask my dad whether he was willing to buy the thing and have me pay him back when my next paycheck arrives.

Yes, the deal is off.

My quesiton now is whether the Core i7 920 bundle is worth getting at the current price. Surely the performance would be exactly the same as the 930?

Or is there something that I don't know about? (Such as it running cooler or something like that?)

The only difference between the 2 chips is the added multi. Most 920's overclock as good or close to the 930's but if you get a C0 stepping they are not good overclocking chips.

The only difference between the 2 chips is the added multi. Most 920's overclock as good or close to the 930's but if you get a C0 stepping they are not good overclocking chips.

But the odds of getting a C0 chip are slim to none.

Dennis.

This is frustrating, I say do it yourself and learn a thing or two about your computer. Or you can take all the fun out of it and order it pre-overclocked.

Your mind seems to be made up. Sorry none of us could convince you otherwise but if you want to buy it pre overclocked go ahead. The cpu warranty is voided no matter what they say. They might replace it for you but they will probably make you bend over backwards to do it on the very slim chance it ever did go bad. I guess we should just answer your question instead of trying to convince you otherwise. Yes, it is an ok deal, but if you shop around you can find better.

But the odds of getting a C0 chip are slim to none.

Dennis.

This is frustrating, I say do it yourself and learn a thing or two about your computer. Or you can take all the fun out of it and order it pre-overclocked.

Your mind seems to be made up. Sorry none of us could convince you otherwise but if you want to buy it pre overclocked go ahead. The cpu warranty is voided no matter what they say. They might replace it for you but they will probably make you bend over backwards to do it on the very slim chance it ever did go bad. I guess we should just answer your question instead of trying to convince you otherwise. Yes, it is an ok deal, but if you shop around you can find better.

I would not bet money on this expecially the source he is looking at. They may have bought C0 steppings on the 920 at a deal from the distributor. I don't want to be negative about it but you never know. Some of these companies are smarter than you think to make a buck. Of course they can OC a 920 C0 stepping to 4Ghz but above????

The c0 revision 920s take a lot more vcore to hit 4.0Ghz than the d0 revisions - hence why the d0 became such a popular stepping. And even the c0 stepping seemed to fall into two distinct categories;

chips that had low voltage requirements but ran very hot

chips that had high voltage requirements but seemed to run cooler

This isn't a scientific study on my part, just an observation.

Dennis - you seem like a nice enough chap, but you really came to the wrong forum to ask about buying "pre-overclocked" hardware. Most every response you get here is going to be neutral or negative because this IS "Overclockers Club Forums" :)

And most everyone here has some interest in enthusiast level computer hardware and pushing that hardware above (sometimes well above) factory specifications. And for most people that means DIY or Doing It Yourself.

The 920 is a great chip - and I can guarantee that you'll be just as happy with it as a 930. In fact, if you clocked both of them to 4.0Ghz side by side the performance would be identical.

Good luck.

I would not bet money on this expecially the source he is looking at. They may have bought C0 steppings on the 920 at a deal from the distributor. I don't want to be negative about it but you never know. Some of these companies are smarter than you think to make a buck. Of course they can OC a 920 C0 stepping to 4Ghz but above????

That is true, C0 stepping is just very rare to find right now, that is a good thing though.

That is true, C0 stepping is just very rare to find right now, that is a good thing though.

It's D0 stepping. If a C0 stepping processor turns up then I sue the bastards. The product page clearly says D0 stepping.

Actually, guys, the main reason why I'm thinking the bundle is a good idea... isn't because of the overclocking.

It's because that bundle is a lot cheaper than buying the parts separately from online stores that I actually trust.

Ebuyer.com is about the best that I know of in terms of trustworthiness and price. Getting the motherboard, ram, and processor from there ends up costing over

Edited by dennis.resevfan

I hope this is ok. I'm just posting to bump the thread to let people know I added content to my last post.

I'm still looking for cheaper hardware. No luck as yet.

I tried bestbuy.co.uk, but they don't seem to have products available to buy on the website. VERY weird, since the American bestbuy.com certainly does...

Could anyone here who is from the UK please tell me which online retailers they trust for PC hardware? ( which have cheap prices and good warranties)