Can't get rid of unallocated space

Phil

I cloned a drive to a larger drive using Acronis and ended up with a Vista recovery partition about 25GB in size, so I resized it and ended up with unallocated space. I've been attempting to resize the C partition to use the space, but every time I reboot the unallocated space is back. I've tried Easeus Partition Master and Paragon Partition Manager. It looks like the task is done, but it never takes. Am I missing some oddity of Vista?

Thanks.

Are you using partition manager in windows or in DOS/Boot mode? (dont be offended :lol:)

i remember if i tried to do a partition re-size it couldn't be actively using the partition otherwise it would just "simulate" and restart to nothing

If all else fails just make another partition with the free space! :lol:

I just used partition magic 8 (gave me compatibility issues) but it still worked..

i have heard of problems existing when the data is not contiguous

have you tried using windows tools to do it?

(admin tools - > disk management)

has shrink/extend commands

I just used partition magic 8 (gave me compatibility issues) but it still worked..

i have heard of problems existing when the data is not contiguous

have you tried using windows tools to do it?

(admin tools - > disk management)

has shrink/extend commands

I don't have Partition Magic, :(

Yes I tried Windows, the options I needed were greyed out.

have you tried from the recovery DVD?

I don't have one, just a recovery partition. I suppose I could try to boot into that, I didn't know partitioning could be done that way with Vista.

I don't have one, just a recovery partition. I suppose I could try to boot into that, I didn't know partitioning could be done that way with Vista.

I think so, but maybe I'm remembering the partitioner used for fresh installs

have you tried using a bootdisk and then trying a partition program from there?

freeware

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

No, that's a thought, but I think the problem is basic compatability with Vista. Apparently most of the popular partitioning apps don't work with Vista I'm finding out. I'm finding lots of complaints about this on teh web. I'm going to d/l the latest Gparted live CD and try that. I tried the one I have but it's an old version.

I've already tried the hard disc tools from the drive manufacturers.