Applying Thermal paste

phat_cow

Everyone has their own methods of applying the thermal paste. When I did my new system, I started with the BB Ball in the center and ended up only getting a small circle coverage when the heatsink was tightened down and then taken back off to look. I cleaned it off and did the thin line down the middle of the cores method and it covered a little better. I decided to mess with it a little to see what worked best for coverage without having the stuff oozing out the sides. The X+ Method seemed to work best from what I could see, but it'll also depend on how thick you apply it. I went as thin as possible while still being able to form the line.

BB Method

thermalpastebbballmetho.jpg

Circle Method

thermalpastecirclemetho.jpg

1 Line Method

thermalpaste1linemethod.jpg

2 Line Method

thermalpaste2linemethod.jpg

X Method

thermalpastexmethod.jpg

X + Method

thermalpastexmehtod.jpg

People have many different methods of spreading themalpaste. I have researched and tested for a long time. The razor blade or credit card method is simply the worst. The line method, X method are "OK" but the small pea remains to be the best method. Watch this tutoral and it is self explanatory. Your fluctuations between core temps is normal for your chip.

Line method:

fffff.png

As you see the tim will not fully cover chip and will ooze over the edge.

Pea Method:

eeeeee.png

As you see the pea method fully covers chip but you have to experiment with the perfect size pea. IC7 Diamond is rather pasty(thick) so you need a little more whereas Freeze is thin and you do not need as much.

The "X" method will leave tiny air pockets. The temp difference will be small maybe a few degrees but it is a difference.

Most enthusiasts will recommend the small pea or grain of rice method. All others are not the best.

Here is a chart for best TIMS.....

1.jpg

Edited by Drdeath