X4 955 Phenom!

I like OCCT but there is also Prime95, IntelBurnTest, etc. Just remember to run them for at least 8h. :)

Prime95 is the toughest of all on NB at 2-1/2hrs or so at 500K. if you want a quick test, IntelBurn stresses in 1 hour what Prime95 takes 4 hrs but it will not stress NB as tough. Run 20 passes at IntelBurn and if you pass, run a 8 hr overnight test on Prime95.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, why such long tests? I usually just run through 1 full blend test pass on Prime95 (or 3 full passes if I leave for dinner) or 25 runs on IntelBurnTest. If it passes, it's good enough for me. I haven't had a crash yet using the systems day-to-day with just a quick 10-15 minute test (even when encoding video for a couple hours). I always think running hour(s) long tests at full load just wears out the CPU faster.

Just curious, why such long tests? I usually just run through 1 full blend test pass on Prime95 (or 3 full passes if I leave for dinner) or 25 runs on IntelBurnTest. If it passes, it's good enough for me. I haven't had a crash yet using the systems day-to-day with just a quick 10-15 minute test (even when encoding video for a couple hours). I always think running hour(s) long tests at full load just wears out the CPU faster.

Prime95 does not fully stress the NB to about 2-1/2 hours like I mentioned. IntelBurn and Linx are great tests to see if your CPU is pretty stable on a 20 pass run but both do not max stress NB like Prime. I have crashed with IntelBurn at the 90th pass out of 100 so the 20 pass test still does not ensure stability but if it passes you should be Ok for everyday use. I have failed Prime95 7 hours in also....Even if a system passes 20 passes Intelburn or Linx or 3 to 4 hour run in prime it DOES NOT mean 100% stable. Those short runs pass but an unstable system can lead to fail enventually. The chip lasts longest when the system is a close to 100% as possible.

If you want to really know if its stable, do a 12 hour run on Prime95. If it passes you are 99.9% stable. Always the longer the better. 3 passes is not close to stressing for stability in Prime95.

Edited by Drdeath

You will need 1.4 or a little more for that overclock. Keep load temps under 55 and your golden. I needed 1.55V to get 3.95Ghz stable on my 955.

I got 3.91Ghz stable with 1.4v.

I tried 4.0Ghz but it wasn't stable after pushing it to 1.45v and my temps were going over 65C during prime95. So I dropped it back to 3.9 and left it at that.

I have the C3 revision.

I got 3.91Ghz stable with 1.4v.

I tried 4.0Ghz but it wasn't stable after pushing it to 1.45v and my temps were going over 65C during prime95. So I dropped it back to 3.9 and left it at that.

I have the C3 revision.

Thats a nice OC!