windows 7 64 and a 16 bit program...

loser12

I am thinking of loading windows7 64 but I rely on an old 16 bit program that I cannot do without. I don't want to dual-boot or have two separate OS, soi I was wondering 2 things.

1) is there any chance that an old 16 bit program would work on 64?

2) if the answer is Maybe; how long does windows 7 64 take to load on a fresh system/hard drive and how long would it take to wipe it clean and re-load windows 7 32bit if my program doesn't work on 64.

thanks

I have XP home Premium without the XP mode, so I guess I will just stick with the 32 bit OS for now.

What is the major difference between 32 and 64?

64 allows more addressing space for RAM

you should be able to run a 16 bit program on a 64 bit OS, I mean even windows 98(32Bit) can run a 16 bit program Never mind did a little research

Edited by CowKing

I don't want to dual-boot or have two separate OS

Just get VirtualBox and install windows XP32 on it. (in virtual box that is)

You can also get VMWare Server for free... and then install any old version of Windows on it...

I personally use VMWare Workstation 7 to run Ubuntu and OSX, because I don't want to reboot to use those OSs, and often work on more than one OS at a time, on the same computer

If you have Win 7 Pro 64 or Ultimate 64 and a processor that supports virtualization (most do) then you can run Virtual XP from within Win 7 and run your old programs there. You can also install Linux on the virtual machine and run it if you care to.

but is this as simple as just running the program, or do I have to switch to some other configuration first. I am constantly switching back and forth between this 26 bit program and firefox, or outlook ot photoshop, etc.

I am building a new machine to make life easier. If this is going toi be too much work, why not just stick with W7-32bit? What are the major advantages of 64?