Having problem with x58 sound card (on board)

Gaz_m2k5

I recently got a new machine.

The motherboard is the Asus P6X58D, it has onboard sound. I'm using the digital coaxial port.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

"From the asus website:

Audio Realtek

Do you have a soundcard around or know someone who has one you can borrow. You might have something faulty in your onboard sound.

Nope, only got onboard sound for this computer and my old one.

I would have thought it was a driver thing though. Another thing is it won't work if I set it to 192kHz. The Asus website says it supports 2.1 channels at 32 bit, 192kHz (studio quality) but I can only go to 96kHz, 24 bit.

I think what hes getting is a second opinion. Try the mic on the other computer to see how it sounds.

You can also try turning down the mic boost in the mic settings.

I think what hes getting is a second opinion. Try the mic on the other computer to see how it sounds.

You can also try turning down the mic boost in the mic settings.

I just tried it on another computer. The microphone is clear with microphone boost, and clearer but quieter without it.

On this computer the microphone boost makes it terrible quality with lots of static, and without the microphone it's just inaudible.

I'm mainly wanting to use it with ventrillo, and even with outbound / all volumes turned up, my friends say it's inaudible.

I see you also have the P6X58D, which sound drivers do you use?

Hmmm. Maybe I do have faulty hardware then.

Argh I really cannot be bothered to take off the CPU and cooler to return it :(

The simplest fix is a sound card. I'm sure you could pick up one from Wal-Mart cheap.

The simplest fix is a sound card. I'm sure you could pick up one from Wal-Mart cheap.

I might resort to a sound card.

By turning the quality from 96kHz to 48kHz on the microphone, it enabled the "noise supression" and "acoustic cancellation" options.

Now when I record with +30db mic boost there is no static, but it is still very bassy and low quality.

On my old computer I had good (and loud) sound from the mic without the mic boost too.

EDIT:

Main problems: Very low quality, and very bassy sound on the microphone.

Inability to select above 96kHz for sound output.

Can't get noise cancellation above 48kHz for input, which I guess is probably normal.

Edited by Gaz_m2k5