Couple questions about the H50

I recently picked up an H50 to cool my 975X and I had just a couple questions for those who own/have owned it.. First, does orientation above the chip matter? Also, does lapping the cooler help at all?

I recently picked up an H50 to cool my 975X and I had just a couple questions for those who own/have owned it.. First, does orientation above the chip matter? Also, does lapping the cooler help at all?

Don't know about lapping. From what I've read the tubes on the rad should be mounted on the top and don't think orientation matters as I've seen it in all different directions.

Hopefully you saved your receipt :P

if you were going to seriously cool the 975 you would not have bought an h50

and whether or not 'lapping' helps at all, that depends on what you are trying to achieve

if you are asking is lapping an h50 worthwhile, the answer is absolutely not

I already told that other guy what his results would be way before he even had the parts,

anyway, as long as he was having fun, more power to him

Edited by potatochobit

The Noctua wouldnt fit in my case. I saw a lot of conflicting rankings about the H50, but always consistently upper-echelon compared to other air coolers. And I absolutely do plan on "seriously" cooling my 975... this is an $80 stopgap solution until I can get a true WC setup, but also provides some hackability once I'm not using it anymore.

I'm trying to achieve the lowest temperatures I can with the hardware I have =)

I already told that other guy what his results would be way before he even had the parts,

anyway, as long as he was having fun, more power to him

THIS is neither predicts results nor specifies which cooler you are referring to :blink:

The Noctua wouldnt fit in my case. I saw a lot of conflicting rankings about the H50, but always consistently upper-echelon compared to other air coolers. And I absolutely do plan on "seriously" cooling my 975... this is an $80 stopgap solution until I can get a true WC setup, but also provides some hackability once I'm not using it anymore.

I'm trying to achieve the lowest temperatures I can with the hardware I have =)

I know I was just teasing ya :)

The H50 is a great cooler and I recommend playing with intake/exhaust and push/pull configurations so you find the best temps...have fun with it ;)

I know =) I did consider the Noctua, I generally like having really sweet stuff in my case, but the darn thing is just too big. Plus, now I'll have a mini water assembly to chop up and play with some day :D Biggest question I had about the H50 though was the orientation of the pump/block assembly... I can have it twisted from 0 to 360 degrees with no difference in performance?

I can have it twisted from 0 to 360 degrees with no difference in performance?

I'm not 100% sure regarding performance, but I have seen it mounted at all different angles. I wouldn't it would make a difference but you never know..

I have the H50 and have been really pleased considering its cost and ease of installation. It opened my case up significantly over the zalman air cooler I was running before. I mildly lapped my processor and the H50; that dropped my temps around 5-6 C. I am running prime 95 to check now, and my load temp is 50C. I am overclocked and stable @ 4.02mhz on default voltage. I think you would like the H50.