Det Dram

After few days i switch on my computer, to my surprise it want display.

Motherboard - Striker Extreme

Memory - Corsair 1gb x 4 800Mhz

PSU - 400W

Processor - Dual core.

Air Cooler - Coolermaster Gemini II

GPU - xfx 8600gt

The first thing was like this, the system would power up, but i would get no display, at the back LCD post on the motherboard would say DET DRAM.

I removed all the ram, swapped them , tried all 4 in every slot, tried all combination, still the problem persisted.

Spoke to asus live technical support, he said memory controller is dead. I was not satisfied with the answer and gave a rating of 1 for the service.

Tried clearing the CMOS , moved the jumper from 1 2 to 2 3 , to make the onboard clrcmos work, manually removed battery still no joy.

Removed all the components cleaned them with air blower, reconnected the processor, and put in 1gb ram and gave a try.

Got 1 long beep and 3 short one, followed by 5 short beeps. The LCD poster said Fan fail, and stuck. I connected a processor fan . Second sequence was solved. I knew 1 long beep and 3 short means graphic card, so i put the gpu in, all beeps solved, but i get the same DET DRAM.

Tried clearing cmos , shifted ram no joy again.

I had a feeling and tried gpu in the pci-e white slot x8 , i get the display. hurray. all 4gb ram detected, but still not happy.

When i put my gpu in blue x16 slots i get same DET DRAM, but white x8 works, i want some help here.

BIOS version 1301

My hard-disk OS does not boot, i think mbr is dead. I hate these problems poping up.

Can you guys tell me why my blue pci-e x16 are not working??????????? and get no display, DET DRAM problem also in those blue slots?????? But white x8 works....

at a guess I'd say it sounds like the PSU flaking out or northbridge dieing... How long have you had the MB? is it still under warrenty?

The memory controller is on the chipset and you have either cooked your memory or had the memory controller take a dump. Just like the asus tech told you . How would I know? I had the same issues across the 680,780 and 790 chipsets. I currently have a wonderful 780i board with a new chip and memory thaty my brother in law bought because he could not believe the boards chipset was bad.

The cpu init and det ram errors are the two serious death knells for that board. Board number 4 was the last one. There is another member here who went through at least 10 replacement boards between 680 and 790 chipsets. Listen to ASUS this time and start your RMA.

Okay , for some reason i thought getting an bios update would help sovle the problem, download and updated the bios .

Switched on and i am stuck with CPU INIT now, no go,fans power passing, got ddr 2 transcend local ram , 800 mhz, 667 mhz, nothing works.

still i get the cpu init problem.

I am thinking of rma, any other suggestions to over come this.???

The mb is 2years 6months old....

Edited by get_saif

Welcome to my own personal hell...

Once you get CPU_INIT POST errors, you can only really (possibly) revive the motherboard by doing an extended CMOS clear.

Basically you unplug all the cables from the mobo and just have the CPU in the motherboard, move jumper to CMOS Clear position, remove the battery, and leave it like that for like an HOUR or maybe a DAY...

just google: cpu init striker extreme

(I had nine 680i boards)

Nothing ends well :(, have given the board for rma, they say, no same product stock, bla bla, 10 days is the time given.. HMMM, dont no what they gonna do with the MB, repair it, refund :), give a new mb, or give a new higher model... i wish i get new model :) ...

Waiting game starts from today.. will see what hapnz...

Welcome to my own personal hell...

Once you get CPU_INIT POST errors, you can only really (possibly) revive the motherboard by doing an extended CMOS clear.

Basically you unplug all the cables from the mobo and just have the CPU in the motherboard, move jumper to CMOS Clear position, remove the battery, and leave it like that for like an HOUR or maybe a DAY...

just google: cpu init striker extreme

(I had nine 680i boards)

Did that for past 3 days, with all combinations, andno combinations ..I have given up.. sadly!!! The board beat me :(

Okay, its been so many days, the update is... they have sent the board via air to there H.O, they called me from there.

They say system booted after they put a new bios, they claim bios had gone bad. But wheni had upated bios, it said it was successful and restarted in 5 sec with no trouble and no post.

I explained DET DRAM and CPU INIT.

The RMA guy asks me what is the need for overclocking???? I was shocked by this question.

But i have mailed them and explained all the problems i have faced, they are checking for some stability issues it seems.. hmmm they claim the board is stable for 5 hours... I wonder how i landed up getting beat by board, and they good fix with a bios repair..hmmmmm...

What do you guys say on this? they are working with the latest bios, as i had updated to that and had got no post.

Edited by get_saif