silent cooling for i7 920

Hey,

All isn't lost. Currently you are running your RAM at fairly tight timings and 1064Mhz. But CPUz shows that your RAM has the capability of running 1333Mhz by relaxing the timings (see column JEDEC #3). Using the correct memory multiplier you might be able to push your BCLK and keep your memory running at or slightly above/below 1333Mhz :)

I'd certainly play with it first before running out and buying new memory.

Agreed but it's been my experience that to get 4+ GHz stable you'll need memory that will run @ 1600 MHz @ 1.65v or less. Intel recommends that you don't run the memory above the 1.65v threshold although I've seen overlclocked memory on the i7 @ 1.7+ volts. I'm currently using GSkill (check sig) and I'm very happy with the performance. Also, to get the best overclocks you should use only 3 of the 6 memory slots. (3x2GB or 3x4GB) Populating all 6 will hold you back.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1002480

Edited by nanoprobe

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies on the RAM guys - that makes me feel better. ;)

Installed D14

Installed PSU - Corsair TX650W

BENCHMARKING WITH NEW COOLER/PSU BEFORE OVERCLOCKING

It's signif. colder in this room in the mornings, so I have to give most of the ambient temp drop to that.

But after 15mins on 100% the multiplier is already showing improvement by staying rock solid at 21 instead of dropping to 20.5 like it has in the past. Also temps are much better.

60max instead of 80max = 20* COOLER! :D (and this box has bad incoming air ventilation because now the D14 blocks the side air opening off almost completely. I will have to make a new opening/grille and place it better for the D14.

I will have to Overclock later. My first attempt will only be to get up to 3.0-3.2 and double check the temps.

Corsair PSU- much QUIETER than the basic junk that was on there.

THE BIG DISAPPOINTMENT: Noctua NOT as quiet as I would like... in fact significantly louder than I was expecting.

post-71374-1271134972_thumb.jpg

post-71374-1271134991_thumb.jpg

Edited by 3DCGdesign

Very nice temp decrease indeed!

after 8h26m rendering at 100% (real-world torture test)

Temps and min/max all flat... remaining nearly identical to results given after 15m.

time to dive into the BIOS... :D

as to sound disappointment... is there a way I can quickly and temporary disable the Graphics Card Fan (using SpeedFan?! maybe?)

I have already unplugged the one extra exhaust fan I added to the back of the box to see if it makes a difference in sound generation and the difference is barely noticeable.

The only other noisy thing in the machine is the fan on the graphics card. (which, after adding the D14 now, is actually 8 degrees below previously observed temps.) 8)

The fan on the graphics card is possibly a big problem because after a cold machine start-up it screams like a banshee.

I had always thought the nasty sound was coming from a diff. stock raidmax exhaust fan and had therefore removed what I believed to be the bad guy when I installed all this yesterday. But immediately after startup the sound was there and I almost fell over... but lightly touched the spinning fan on the graphics card w/ the tip of my finger and the sound disappeared (it always takes 5mins for it to mostly go away)

post-71374-1271165090_thumb.jpg

Check compatibility with your gpu first, but if it fits, the Zalman VF900 will make all of your graphics card noise and temperature problems go away.

Are you running the fans at full speed or using U.L.N.A.?

Agreed but it's been my experience that to get 4+ GHz stable you'll need memory that will run @ 1600 MHz @ 1.65v or less. Intel recommends that you don't run the memory above the 1.65v threshold although I've seen overlclocked memory on the i7 @ 1.7+ volts. I'm currently using GSkill (check sig) and I'm very happy with the performance.

I've been happy with my G.Skill DDR3 1600 memory too. I've got the 6GBPI kit (8-8-8-21) and it runs happily at 1700Mhz and 1.60vdimm 24/7. So the G.Skill also gets a high recommendation from me.

I believe the OP said he was only shooting for a 3.0 - 3.2Ghz overclock, nothing astronomical, hence my recommendation that he play around a little bit with his current memory before dropping some more cash on upgrades.

I'm shooting for 4.2 :D

will be very happy if I get 3.9-4

will be OK with 3.6 - 3.8

thanks for the tip on the zalman. may have to pick one up... we'll see. I'm maybe going to get a new graphics card soon... if I can get some clients soon. :rolleyes:

Edited by 3DCGdesign

Are you running the fans at full speed or using U.L.N.A.?

I did not try the ULNAs because I wanted to make sure it was working without them. I will add them after I O.C. and see if that helps... or not.

Right now it appears the fans stay at full speed all the time... I thought they were supposed to gear down when not needed... does that only happen with the ULNAs in use?

ok... here's the .mp3 I made of the sound comparison I did of before and after the Corsair PSU and Noctua D14 installation

maybe not exactly scientific, but I hope it's useful? :unsure:

bottom line, I perhaps was able to cut in half the ambient sound generation by my rig... but it is definitely NOT the silence I was hoping for.

I will see if adding the ULNA's and disabling the back exhaust fan will give me the cooling I need but be as quiet as I hope.

Edited by 3DCGdesign

I'm shooting for 4.2 :D

will be very happy if I get 3.9-4

will be OK with 3.6 - 3.8

thanks for the tip on the zalman. may have to pick one up... we'll see. I'm maybe going to get a new graphics card soon... if I can get some clients soon. :rolleyes:

Ah, gotcha. I went back and read your first post and see that you were having heat problems when trying to get it to 3.0Ghz - not that is where you wanted to stop. 3.6Ghz under air cooling is a fair goal. You have a C0 stepping 920 so it will require more voltage = more heat than if you had a D0 stepping processor. But you have a good air cooler now so you might be able to get as high as 3.8Ghz for 24/7 operation. Keep us posted on your progress :)

And if you are seriously shooting for 3.8 0- 4.0Ghz you are definitely going to need a decent kit of DDR3 1600 memory.

Edited by wevsspot

I didn't feel like reading the entire thread but my cogage true spirit with a lapped cpu and heatsink and my mini p180 works VERY quietly. case fans on low and only one scythe gentle typhoon on the cpu. hits about 70C after 30 minutes of prime 95 at 3.8Ghz 1.2V with an i7 930, my 920 had even lower temps (~65) at the same speed (I think the cpu was an exceptionally piece though). My cogage true spirit sucked at first (65C stock settings) but after I lapped it and the cpu and replaced the mounting hardware with the screw in one rather than push pins it works great and is about $50 with the addition of the screw in mount and then $20 for sand paper. Note, I believe your case doesnt have a huge top exhaust like mine so your results may not be stellar.