Hello from Afghanistan!

Doombringer

Hello everyone!

My name is Chris, and I'm a U.S. Marine (Sergeant) UAV Operator who currently finds himself in Afghanistan (but otherwise in Twentynine Palms, CA). Re-enlisted this year, so I'm bringing home a respectable amount of money from overseas, and will be purchasing my Dream Flight-Simulator PC this summer upon my return from deployment.

Moderate technical skills - I've built two computers before - but I know I have plenty of room for improvement and learning, especially in the realm of software and performance-tuning a machine (so I know I'm in the right place! :rolleyes: ).

If anyone has any advice for a relative newcomer (other than "read the entire Hardware Forum", which I'm already attempting :blink: ), please don't hesitate to chime in!

Respectfully,

Chris

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to OCC!

best advice i can give in this situation is to ask again when you're ready to buy.

prices fluctuate so much, and new hardware releases so frequently these days that a build you plan now might get totally thrown out of the window by the time summer rolls around.

Thanks for the welcome, all.

@ psycho_terror, I'll definitely heed that advice. Keeping up with the changing times is difficult with sporadic internet access at best - but I'll definitely check and double-check before I hit the 'Buy' button. :)

@ paulktreg and HyperHorse, yes, UAV stands for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. Think of it like a remote-controlled spy plane, but on a slightly larger scale.

I fly the RQ-7B Shadow TUAS (Tactical Unmanned Aerial System), and am currently deployed with VMU-3. Sorry for the acronym overload, the military is worse than the computer industry. ;)

Edited by Doombringer

Guest ajmatson

Welcome to the forums. Be safe and make it back home. I for one respect the hell out of our military and would love to see photos of your adventures if your allowed to post any.

UAV = Unmanned Aerial Vehicle right?

Dude OMG,,,, are there guns on the UAV? :) :) :) :)

hmmmm, I wonder if it's illegal to mount a gun on a remote controled helicopter.... :ph34r:

Edited by feetfats