Noob overclocker Questions!

Hello everyone!

I am a bit concerned about overclocking my new machine, I have some software that came with the motherboard I got called "Easy Tuner 6" for use in overclocking my CPU. But I am a bit wary of doing that in the first place. I have OC'd in the past, but that was a long long time ago. So if I could ask of you all what would be the recommended settings for my setup so that I may push it to maybe 3.0 - 3.5 GHz range.

Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P / LGA 775

PSU: FSP Everest 80Plus 600W

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83 GHz

RAM: 4GB KVR PC2-6400

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 1GB

HDD1: 500GB Seagate

HDD2: 1TB Seagate

I only have the Default CPU Heat sink that came with the CPU as well. So if that is going to be an issue I can understand.

Thank you!

Edited by TheBigShide

I would go through the BIOS and not a windows application. As far as the stock heatsink, you might be able to get 100-300 extra MHz, but stress that you REALLY want to get an aftermarket cooler for anything serious

The Prolimatech Megahalems is an excellent suggestion - great cooler if your budget allows.

A cheaper alternative that doesn't perform quite as well would be the Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000. Its about 1/2 the price of the Megahalems so it is a great performance/price ratio choice.

3.0Ghz - 3.5Ghz should be a walk in the park with a good aftermarket cooler.