Q9550 @ 4.0GHz

So after a round of overclocking I've got my Q9550 stable @ 4.0GHz from 3.9GHz.

BIOS is set at 1.35V CPU voltage with all other voltages manually set within a safe range. CPU-Z is reading 1.296V idle in Windows and 1.21V under full IBT load. Max temp is 65C on one core.

These voltages look safe to you guys? My 3.9GHz volts was a bit less at 1.3125V in BIOS. 4.0GHz is just something I was hoping to hit just for fun. I'd like to keep my rig running 24/7 with this overclock, unless it's unsafe to do so. I realize my BIOS CPU volts are a little above Intel's max spec for my chip, just wondering what you guys think. Any input would be appreciated.

BTW, I stressed using 15 passes of Intel Burn Test utilizing the most RAM I could. Like I stated above, temps never went above 65C. Peace.

Edit: I plan on stressing at a later time with Prime/OCCT but for now I'm fairly confident in the stress IBT has put on the chip. Lemme know your thoughts.

Edited by Bizzlenitch

3.5ghz and 4ghz is a big difference in overclock and amount of heat your cpu will use... have to remember you have think about all the amps of current going threw that cpu... good work... thats about the same settings i used at 4.0

well 65c its kinda hot. my 3.5Ghz runs at higher voltage and now temps are not higher than 49c(running prime95 more than 3-4hours+) and still running.

but 4Ghz is awesome! wish you luck ;)

Try stressing using Intel Burn Test or some other Linpack program. You'll find your temps are substantially higher than 49C. In Prime/OCCT I think I MIGHT hit 56C or 57C. And as unknownuser noted, 3.5GHz is not 4.0GHz. I think anything less than 65C on air at 4.0GHz with an air-cooled Q9550 is actually pretty decent. Any user who reads this, feel free to refute my statement...

Edit: Don't misunderstand me, 49C at 3.5GHz in Prime is respectable in and of itself. Just not comparable to stressing using IBT or Linpack. Apples and oranges, my friend, apples and oranges.

Edited by Bizzlenitch

maybe you right but with stock cooler at 3.2Ghz i got 64c :blink: . Now at my place is 3AM outdoors temperature is maybe +10 - 0c (left a open window) i use a open pc case and aftermarket cooler. prime running ah.. i don't eavin know 4-5+hours CPU temp 46c. but yea thanks i'm gonna try other programs that you sed. ok back to the topic! n i think i need to get back to bed :sleep:

maybe you right but with stock cooler at 3.2Ghz i got 64c :blink: . Now at my place is 3AM outdoors temperature is maybe +10 - 0c (left a open window) i use a open pc case and aftermarket cooler. prime running ah.. i don't eavin know 4-5+hours CPU temp 46c. but yea thanks i'm gonna try other programs that you sed. ok back to the topic! n i think i need to get back to bed :sleep:

Try Linpack/Intel Burn Test and lemme know what you get. I'd be interested in knowing your results. And yes, stock coolers blow chunks. ;)

stock coolers blow chunks? yea i thot that to before that stock AMD cooler started to spin more than 5400Rpm :blink: and from 64c i got 57-55c :blink: btw searching for Linpack and Intel Burn now!

Edited by CDMCCDMC

so i just tested intel burn. very nice software! Thanks!

[/img]

but i think i'm still running cool :P

You didn't show any of the test lol

Edited by R1P5AW

sorry about that it was 4.30AM...

here is the test

Untitled_3.jpg

i was far from pc so i dint notisted when test finished <_<

Min/Max temps was 31/48c (only 1c more than Prime95 :blink: )

o don't really care about test score(i don't eavin know is that score is good or bad). i notesded nice increase in games FPS. thats all i need :closedeyes:

:withstupid:

PS i was showing CPU temps not score in first picture.

Edited by CDMCCDMC