Battle Royale: Corsair H50 vs Noctua NH-D14

R1P5AW

First off R1P5AW, this was a great thread. Anyone who takes the time and own money to do a comparison, is really helping the PC and Overclocking community!

Right Now, I have an H50 setup on my i7 930 as well. I do understand that the test was done with a 920, but since the 920/930 are the same chip with different factory clocks, I thought I would set everything the exact same and replicate the LinX test. The reason I wanted to do this was I thought that the H50 temps looked high, compared to my system!

Now, some differences in my setup that should be noted: My case is an Antec 1200 w/ 3 120mm front intake fans, 2 120mm middle intake fans, the 200mm top exhaust, 2 120mm back exhaust fans, and 1 120mm intake fan on the side panel. I currently have my H50 setup in a push/pull, with the radiator mounted on my bottom 120mm back exhaust fan pulling, with a Scythe Ultra Kaze fan mounted on the other side of the radiator pushing. I do understand using a fan like this is a hug change in setup, but if you don't mind the noise(and I'm anal about temps, so I don't) then it really affects the performance of the H50 IMO!

My ambient temps are 23-25C, explained below

I keep my house @ 72F, but my office is a room in the back of my house which is 14 x 16. It has 1 freaking register, a 6" run from the furnace to heat and cool the entire room, which just happens to be on the opposite side that my PC is on :( I plan on getting down in the crawl space and adding another run that I will cut into the floor somewhere closer to my PC. But, it's not crazy hot yet, and I have been procrastinating! My main point here, is my office is w/o a doubt the hottest room in my house due to the fact it doesn't have the proper cfm needed to cool it for the size of room it is! Which is why my ambient temps are a little high right now.

Here are the results I got:

linx40testrun.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First off R1P5AW, this was a great thread. Anyone who takes the time and own money to do a comparison, is really helping the PC and Overclocking community!

Right Now, I have an H50 setup on my i7 930 as well. I do understand that the test was done with a 920, but since the 920/930 are the same chip with different factory clocks, I thought I would set everything the exact same and replicate the LinX test. The reason I wanted to do this was I thought that the H50 temps looked high, compared to my system!

Now, some differences in my setup that should be noted: My case is an Antec 1200 w/ 3 120mm front intake fans, 2 120mm middle intake fans, the 200mm top exhaust, 2 120mm back exhaust fans, and 1 120mm intake fan on the side panel. I currently have my H50 setup in a push/pull, with the radiation mounted on my bottom 120mm back exhaust fan pulling, with a Scythe Ultra Kaze fan mounted on the other side of the radiator pushing. I do understand using a fan like this is a hug change in setup, but if you don't mind the noise(and I'm anal about temps, so I don't) then it really affects the performance of the H50 IMO!

My ambient temps are 23-25C, explained below

I keep my house @ 72F, but my office is a room in the back of my house which is 14 x 16. It has 1 freaking register, a 6" run from the furnace to heat and cool the entire room, which just happens to be on the opposite side that my PC is on :( I plan on getting down in the crawl space and adding another run that I will cut into the floor somewhere closer to my PC. But, it's not crazy hot yet, and I have been procrastinating! My main point here, is my office is w/o a doubt the hottest room in my house due to the fact it doesn't have the proper cfm needed to cool it for the size of room it is! Which is why my ambient temps are a little high right now.

Here are the results I got:

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8369/linx40testrun.jpg[/iM G]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So your solution more noise, adds even more cost to the h50, and still loses to the d14 despite being at lower volts...

thanks for making me confident in my purchase :thumbsup2:

So your solution more noise, adds even more cost to the h50, and still loses to the d14 despite being at lower volts...

thanks for making me confident in my purchase :thumbsup2:

Check pg 5 with R1P's SS, my volts should be identical! I'm not sure if he can hit 4GHz on his 920 on less volts, or not. On my 930, it does not take 1.296V to get to 4GHz stable, but I just wanted to use the same exact volts as he did! I can hit that clock with volts around 1.24, which also lowers the temps as you stated. However, I did not show that, wouldn't have made as close a comparison.

But, yes you are absolutely correct with the noise/cost aspect! $10, and the sound of the Ultra Kaze are my drawbacks. :) But, I have already picked up my pump, radiator, and hoses. Just waiting for my cpu block to be shipped, and still deciding on which reservior to purchase. But, I liked my H50 for the most part. Very excited to make the WC jump :)