New Computer for Mom

PruritusAni

Hey guys,

I've just about had it with mom's computer. That thing is running on way too old and needs to be taken out back and hit with a shovel, just once. Since she is too used to daily computer usage she's going to need a cheap replacement. She uses the computer for internet access, the occasional Photoshop/Corel and she watches movies on it as well, all while refusing to play Crysis (or any other game) :D , so it need not be a beast. Would I be better off taking her to best buy and getting her a cheap dell (around 6-700ish for core2duo or i5 type things) or should I just try to assemble something myself? If I do decide to build something myself, I'm planning on reusing the e-machines case that came with this old computer, and reusing the cd-rom drive. Let me know what you think.

i'm thinkin momma needs a new 6 core 1366 right about now !! B:)

Thank you all for your input. It does look like mom's going the AMD route.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555

As mom's computer died totally last night we're making this thing decent enough to last her a while, no upgrades in 2 yrs.

MoBo: AsRock M3A785GMH

Really like this motherboard as it has a sufficient fan connectors and decent enough on-board graphics for mom.

PSU: Corsair 400W

I think this should be plenty to run the system off.

Memory: A-Data 2X2Gb DDR3 1600MHz

Mom does a lot of intense Photoshopping as she reprocesses photos/scans of her art, 4Gb ought to keep her happy for a fairly long time.

OS Windows 7 64bit

I have a vista disk laying around but I'd much rather have 7 running for mom.

HD Seagate Barracuda 250Gb

I doubt mom will ever need more than this, her recovery files were only 8Gb.

Total cost: 491.62 w/ shipping included.

I'll be using a NZXT Beta Evo case I'm getting for 30$ and a GeminII S fan I have laying around. All in all mom should be set for quite some time. If anyone notices any major incompatibilities please let me know. Will be ordering it in a day or so.

that will be fine for mild photo work...but if mom does alot of it the 955x4 would be a better choice...only a few more dollars...

if she is just a average editor than the dual will be fine...

if it was my rig I'd opt for an Asus board and a quad...but thats just me...

my thoughts are..."anything worth doing is worth over doing.." that way you'll know it will be fine..

everything else looks fine...you may be able to shave a few bucks going with 1333mhz ram too...

• 2 weeks later...