High-End Build!!

The EvilAlex

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should easily get that. Worst you might have to do is drop in a new graphics card, but even that's debatable. My 8800GT is still doing everything I need it to do after 2+ years. Granted, I can't max EVERYTHING out, but I can play every game I want with more than acceptable performance and quality. I do game on a 19", though, so YMMV of course.

I am working on a 1366 build right now and acquiring the parts.

Mine is quite similar to yours for main components:

Asus P6T Deluxe/OC Palm

i7 920

Corsair XMS3 6gb (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145222)

I'll be putting it together by the end of this week so I'll let you know how everything works out ;)

Also for vid card, why not go with 5870 now then crossfire later?

Thanx slugbug!!

Thats a great idea!!

CPU - I7 930

Mobo - Asus P6TD Deluxe

RAM - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (TR3X6G1600C7D)

HDD - Western Digital 640Gb Caviar Black (WD6401AALS)

GPU - XFX HD5970 Black Edition (HD-597A-CNB9)

PSU - Corsair HX850W

Case - Antec 1200

Headphones - Sennheiser RS 180

Desktop - Cordless Desktop

Edited by The EvilAlex

Finlay I got my self some parts, but I still need RAM and PSU(It will take me two weeks to get that).

And I know, that I should have waited for the last parts before opening the box, but the temptation, it's to much...

I have a question about the CPU, it's cooler specifically.

Underneath the cooler there is that golden spot, and on that spot there are these gray lines. As I understand, this is thermal paste for the CPU. Now, by accident, I managed ruin one lines corner, is that OK???

Edited by The EvilAlex

That golden spot is the copper core. Yes it will be OK. Once you mount the cooler the thermal paste is spread so no harm done.

You've bought all this nice hardware and you're going to use the stock CPU cooler?

Also, will the gpu fit the case??

There are bunch of people that keep saying otherwise.

i'm a bit late on this but anyway. trust me, almost everything will fit in a antec 1200. i have one and they are big. it fits some of the tallest heatsinks and longest gfx cards. my gtx 260 has a good 1.5 to 2 inches from the end to the back drive bays. The distance would be smaller if there were hard drives in them but you have 9 possible 3.5 inch hard drive bays to work around. im sure you'll manage ;)

i used crazy nate's guide to build my sister's and a friends computer. use that while reading your motherboard manual and you should be fine as long as you have common sense.

make sure you post some pics when you get it all set up :thumbs-up:

Thermal Paste fills the small gaps between the CPU and the heatsink for better heat transfer away from the CPU to the heatsink. I prefer OCZ Freeze http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835202006 I've used mine for over a year without re-applying. Many go in and re-apply their thermal paste after a period of time but I don't with OCZ Freeze. There is no set-in time like there is with Arctic Silver 5.

Putting an aftermarket heatsink on now will give better temps and save the hassle of having to possibly remove the motherboard to do so later.