I7 Gaming Rig

Andosen95

Hey guys, I am building a new i7 rig and these are the parts I was looking at buying, however, I am relatively new at this and I was wondering if you could give me any hints, tips or recommendations regarding my machine.

Case: Cooler Master Sniper Black Edition

PSU: Seasonic M12D 850w

CPU: I7 930 2.8ghz

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7

Video card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5670

Ram: OCZ 6GB, 1600mhz (OCZ3X1600R2LV6GK)

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ

Optical Drive: BenQ DW240S Dual Layer 24x DVD+-RW Black

With the graphics card I was originally planning to purchase a 5870, yet with the new Fermi cards coming out supposedly on the 26th of march, I am wondering if I should wait to see if those cards are worth purchasing or see if ATI lowers the prices of there current high end cards, now that they have competition. Is this the best cheap short term card while I wait a few months? Or should I look at purchasing a higher end card now?

Which RAM do you recommend out of the OCZ and the Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 6GB 1600mhz Kit? Or is it better to get something cheaper like one of the Kingston options?

Thankyou for your help.

Edited by sdy284

First off Id change the 930 to a 920 cause you can easily get a 920 to 2.8ghz. As far as playing the whole waiting game it never really works out. By the time fermi is out there will probably be something else on the horizon that you should "wait for". Myself Id go higher end now but thats just me. Id also recommend getting a separate smaller drive for OS/APPs and keep the 1tb for storage. That way you dont stand to loose an absurd amount of data if your OS takes a crap. Other than that everything looks good.

First off Id change the 930 to a 920 cause you can easily get a 920 to 2.8ghz. As far as playing the whole waiting game it never really works out. By the time fermi is out there will probably be something else on the horizon that you should "wait for". Myself Id go higher end now but thats just me. Id also recommend getting a separate smaller drive for OS/APPs and keep the 1tb for storage. That way you dont stand to loose an absurd amount of data if your OS takes a crap. Other than that everything looks good.

+1

Cheers for the welcome.

Thanks for all the help. With regards to purchasing the computer parts I live in Australia so I was looking at purchasing them from a mixture of Umart, Pccasegear and Mwave.

For the graphics card I was planning to go high end but I am wondering if it is worth waiting for this price drop. If supply in Australia is not meeting demand then the prices will be higher. Also since ATI have no competition they can afford to mark there cards higher. Do you guys think that the prices of the 5800's will drop heaps when the Fermi cards come out? I wonder if Fermi will bring there cards out at a lower price point then ATI's forcing them to lower the price of the cards.

What drive do you recommend for the OS? Do I look at getting a cheap SSD drive? Or just look at purchasing a cheaper HDD?

Thank you again for the help.