overclocked my 920 succesfully to 3.8... now what?

Crawlerz246

With the VTT voltage just be aware there is a pre-set voltage that you are adding to or subtracting from. That voltade depends on what type of M/B you have

they very. You could try setting the vcore to 1.3v and raising the vtt voltage. Both will give you an increase in temps.

The increasing of the VTT adds to the stability of the system, but can cause damage to the cpu and or motherboard if you go to high.

Just be slow ,take baby steps and test frequently .

Good Luck.

Edited by dling

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you stress tested with cpu set to stock? If so what were the temps? Your cooler might need some adjustments.

If not try setting cpu to stock and manually set voltages to stock and see what the temps look like.

what does "adjusting" mean? it's already at top speed judging by the knob on back

what does "adjusting" mean? it's already at top speed judging by the knob on back

The thermal paste may not have spread evenly, or the heat sink may not be on just right. If the temps hit 60 or above with stock clocks and stock voltages I would check to make sure the heatsink is mounted correctly

post-67675-1266187985_thumb.jpg

everything stock, no OC, speedstep ON, voltage fluctuates... u can see that 0.9-1.34

BIOS shows idle at 30.5. hotest after 20 cycles of linx is 61.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/880/11/

Seems those temps are about right for a v8.. Still seem high to me. guess I have just been using water cooling for to long.

You might still want to try some different mounts to see if you can bring down temps some.

I guess water cooling is the only real solution for high clocks with the i7.

Here is mine

stock

overclocked

Swiftech Apogee xt block, Swiftech MCp655 pump,Swiftech MCR220 dual 120mm rad, Yate Loon d12sh fans, DangerDen dual bay res, and 1/2 id 3/4 od tubing.

Seems those temps are about right for a v8.. Still seem high to me. guess I have just been using water cooling for to long.

You might still want to try some different mounts to see if you can bring down temps some.

I guess water cooling is the only real solution for high clocks with the i7.

Here is mine

stock

overclocked

Swiftech Apogee xt block, Swiftech MCp655 pump,Swiftech MCR220 dual 120mm rad, Yate Loon d12sh fans, DangerDen dual bay res, and 1/2 id 3/4 od tubing.

I really would like to try my hand at H2O but the prices! they just turn me off... (although I must admit water cooling makes me cream in my pants.)

I guess what I'll do is try to find a stable OC (which, let's admit, we're all here for, even n00bs like me) without going over 75-80. maybe 3.5 (no need for setting records).

about the V8 - since putting the PC together a 1-2 weeks ago, I've reseated the V8 a couple of times. the first time wasn't wrong but I did it cuz the nut's weren't tightened as well as I wanted and the 932 HAF although says the opening is big enough to change the heatsink w/o removing the mobo - ISNT BIG ENOUGH. what the heck is wrong with their way of measuring is beyond me because I would think they saw a 1366 socket heatsink on a ATX mobo before. so I cut some steel out of the case's mobo tray. looks ugly as hell. and yeah, I should've cut more. but at least I cant unscrew it if I want w/o removing the mobo NOW.

p.s. just how trusty IS realtemp.exe?

p.p.s. I'm also experiencing some video problems (artifacts, screen trembling on startup, and media center) with the ATi 4890 I brought over from DELL (which I bought myself about a year or so ago)

I'd like to add something if I may...

I'm sitting here downgrading to about 3.5-3.6GHz and trying to undervolt while running prime95 or linx to see if it BSODs or anything... and I'm noticing a trend. while prime95 is working I'm usually getting lower temps than linx. I show 100% CPU load on both but prime95 consistently gives 2-7 degress lower.

post-67675-1266187985_thumb.jpg

everything stock, no OC, speedstep ON, voltage fluctuates... u can see that 0.9-1.34

BIOS shows idle at 30.5. hotest after 20 cycles of linx is 61.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/880/11/

Your clock speeds are wrong . for the i7 ,920 proc. you should be at 20x133.

You show 13x133.6 , that very low.

Edited by dling

Your clock speeds are wrong . for the i7 ,920 proc. you should be at 20x133.

You show 13x133.6 , that very low.

that's speedstep kicking IMO - when I run linx, the multiplier clicks over to 21 and the clock is 3675...

I undervolted some more in hopes of lowering temps under load (stop me if I shouldn't do it) - right now I seem to be holding steady at 1.176 in CPUZ. in retrospect i should've bought the 960 and not dealt with the higher temps at overclocking. or delt with them but at higher speeds.

HT ans SS is on. does it make any difference in terms of temps?

Edited by Crawlerz246