Peltier cooler

Danny_75

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't but I wouldn't dabble in them these days. CPUs put out too much heat to get a reasonable peltier (both in terms of cost and power consumption/cooling).

I was thinking that but just ordered a 400Watt Peltier for

/tries to find the thread about the melted peltier

yeah, another vote for it being "not worth it" this day and age. back during the socket A days, a properly cooled peltier would work well :)

edit:

i think this is it.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=26078

sadly no pictures though :(

Edited by airman

I used one back in the day pretty successful, I used to have all my photos and stuff on here, but I cannot find them anymore. But this was before Bosco ran OCC so I think there was a bit of lost info when the swapping of owners happened.

This was back on an old Pentium 3 933MHz. I think but don't quote me, I ran my CPU at about -15 deg.

It really is quite a hassle though you need to seal up the back and front side of the cpu holder with Dow Corning, its a clear silicon that drys hard, and it keeps all the electroids n crap from getting water/moisture in them. You also need to buy neoprene and put it on the outside and back of the cpu holder as well.

As these guys said with how hot these new CPU's run it makes it so you have to make the hotside even colder.

There is a Hot side and a Cold side on a TEC. If you use no cooling on the hotside, the coldside becomes hot.

Now if you place the coldside on a hot surface, then the hot side of the TEC has to be marginally cooler in order for the cold side of the TEC to work well at all.

I honestly do not think water cooling would work all that well unless your water is running at a pretty constant 32-35deg F.

Don't quote me on this though. I seriously have not read about or used a TEC since about 2002-2003.

Mine got to about -15c idle with a 3.2EE, I cant remember load temps as it was long ago but I am thinking it was around 15c in a 25c room...

Edit: This guy used to be on OCC years ago and designed a block and all that was getting the most out of peltiers, not sure if you can still buy them or not...

http://www.wintschlabs.com/ArcticWeb.html

Edited by road-runner