Can't Raise my NB Freq.

hosnappp

Check out my stats in the signature.

K, done?

Cool, anyways...

I have my NB frequency stuck at the default 2000Mhz and it's bugging me! Even the SLIGHTEST tweak and my MB doesn't POST. I need help, could it be because of my overclock? Will I even see a performance gain if I succeed in raising my NB?

Thanks in advance :)

What are all ur settings ? i cant tell from ur signature

NB - 1.25v

CPU NB VID - +0.075v

CPU at 1.45v (1.440v in CPU-ID)

And the NB temps are raised to make the CPU stable. And they're pretty minor tweaks at that.

Edited by headbangerbuggy

Hi,

First of all, yeah the NB will help the stability of an overclock but it won't really give u much more overclocking room. You should be able to increase it through it's multiplier which at the default is x10 as u probably know. When increasing it, also u need to raise it's voltage. I can tell you that it's not your overclock thats making it not work, and even if this was the case it only means that you don't need the NB. IF you wanna check this out, revert all you overclocks back to default and try to raise the NB freq by it's self and you'll see if it works ok like that.

Hi,

First of all, yeah the NB will help the stability of an overclock but it won't really give u much more overclocking room. You should be able to increase it through it's multiplier which at the default is x10 as u probably know. When increasing it, also u need to raise it's voltage. I can tell you that it's not your overclock thats making it not work, and even if this was the case it only means that you don't need the NB. IF you wanna check this out, revert all you overclocks back to default and try to raise the NB freq by it's self and you'll see if it works ok like that.

Well I don't want to overclock higher, I just read somewhere that the 'ideal' NB Freq. for 3.8 Ghz was 2400-2600Mhz and I'm at 2000. I just wanna get as much performance as I can. And if I raise the multiplier to even x11 or x12(I've been really hoping for x12 to make it a steady 2400) it won't post from a cold boot or sleep mode. It'll exit the Bios and load my OS just fine, but if i turn off the computer and boot from there, it won't post.

the problem u are taking about its quite common for me also. i have tried alot of peoples settings and i was never to achive anything stable longer then 5 minutes. i am still trying to figure what it is. when i run it in auto it runs fine.

the problem u are taking about its quite common for me also. i have tried alot of peoples settings and i was never to achive anything stable longer then 5 minutes. i am still trying to figure what it is. when i run it in auto it runs fine.

Maybe it's just a Gigabyte issue. Frankly I'm glad it's not just me, this way I don't have to RMA or anything.

If I get ANYTHING successful, I'll be sure to let you guys know.

Click on the overclock in my signature and you'll see what my 955BE is running at. I found it hard to get to 3.9 without increasing both the CPU-NB and HT.

EDIT

Ug, just looked at it myself and noticed it doesn't ahve my voltage tot he CPU-NB. It was only a super small bump, but was needed to make it stable. When i get home, I'll look at the voltage and post it if you still need it.

Edited by GmAz

@ballistix - if increasing the NB voltage creates stability. then the overclock has been extended/increased successfully.

in making that stable, it can progress to the next step, so don't count it out of allowing you to OC more.

( why go farther if you cant even stabilize it?)

@headbangerguy - i can understand more voltage making something stable, but more heat? usually the point is to get the least heat with the most voltage

- never forget just because you or someone you know has hit 3.8 with even the same proc. or mobo, doesn't garuntee anything.

what someone might be able to do at stock, witht he same setup as you doesn't mean your board/cpu will match it.

every chip reacts different in the end. some need mad volts, some can be left at stock. its a gamble

Edited by cirro

@ballistix - if increasing the NB voltage creates stability. then the overclock has been extended/increased successfully.

in making that stable, it can progress to the next step, so don't count it out of allowing you to OC more.

( why go farther if you cant even stabilize it?)

@headbangerguy - i can understand more voltage making something stable, but more heat? usually the point is to get the least heat with the most voltage

- never forget just because you or someone you know has hit 3.8 with even the same proc. or mobo, doesn't garuntee anything.

what someone might be able to do at stock, witht he same setup as you doesn't mean your board/cpu will match it.

every chip reacts different in the end. some need mad volts, some can be left at stock. its a gamble

Well that's all fine and dandy, but I read that if your NB is 2400-2600 you get the most out of your 3.8 Overclock. I'm at 3.8 stable. Have been for a week or so. I hit 61.5 at MAXXXX load. And that's after quite a while. I don't mind it, the point is that I'm at 3.8 but my NB won't raise in frequency at all. Does it make that much of a difference to have a faster NB anyways?