Need Help OCing Phenom II 940

feetfats

Hi guys,

Just to start I have read Dolk's guide a few times already and it has helped a lot but I am not fully catching on to all this. This is the first cpu I have ever overclocked so I am learning from scratch.

Here's what I have done so far.

I put a different cooler on .. the Reeven RCCT-0901SP and it is cooling much better as my stock cooler would let the 940 overheat in prime 95 at stock settings.

I have managed to OC to 3500mhz and run Prime 95 with no problems and temps from 48-52 C under load

to get this far I have gone with

NB 11X NB-Volt 1.2000 CPU-V 1.375 CPU 17.5X

I have tried a bit more voltage and still cannot get to 18X without crashing or not posting at all. I have also tried increasing the NB multi and the nb volts a bit.

How do I get further from this point?

Edited by feetfats

I could be wrong but try putting the NB and NB voltage back to default for now, then check your memory settings, set them manually to their default, it could be that. Also make sure cool and Quiet is Dissabled , see if that helps any ;)

Likely your going to need a better cooling solution. I had to bump my voltage up to 1.45 to get 3.70 out of my phenom 940. read this guide here. It will help. Dolk's guide to OC'n the Phenom II 940

It helped me get going with overclocking mine, see cpu0id below.

Also it states what the stock voltages are. start there, and use the charts to set your NB and ht bus about where it should fall under its best performance. Other then that Your just about to where you have to stop. 55c load is where he recommends not going any further. at 62c they start doing damage to themselves. hope this helps.

Up the NBFreq more along with voltage. Like x12 or x13 with volts of ~1.30-1.35. Try your oc then and you might wanna give the CPU some more juice, just to see if a higher clock is possible and it hasn't hit a wall. If it works, start downing the voltage from the cpu bit by bit untill u get the lowest possible voltage that works with the oc.

You might wanna try what SenitaL said first though.

^

lol boinker, he clearly says he's read Dolk's guide a Few times already :lol:

lol,, I just new that even if I put it in the first post someone would still suggest it

It's ok,, at least its a good guide he is recomending

Dont forget about the cpu to NB voltage. it helped my overclock gain stability. I took a look at my overclock again and ill relay the settings. though they may not work it my help. But getting past 3.50 on mine took a crap load of voltage to the chip and a water cooling solution given that I wasn't going to lower the temp of my room below 75. :)

My settings at 3.70 "I am not liable" lol. hope it helps.

Main board. ASUS M3N-HT Hdmi variant

Chip. Phenom II x4 940 C2 stepping

Memory. Mushkin red line ddr2-1000

Vdda- 2.622

Memory- 2.100 (set at factory) Memory timings at 5,5,5,15,31

NF200- 1.26 (south bridge at factory)

HT bus- 1.26

NB chip- 1.26

Cpu-NB multiplier - 11x (or 2200 MHz)

Cpu-NB voltage- 1.350

Cpu-voltage- 1.450

Cpu multi- 18.50x

Core freq- 200

Dont forget about the cpu to NB voltage. it helped my overclock gain stability. I took a look at my overclock again and ill relay the settings. though they may not work it my help. But getting past 3.50 on mine took a crap load of voltage to the chip and a water cooling solution given that I wasn't going to lower the temp of my room below 75. :)

My settings at 3.70 "I am not liable" lol. hope it helps.

Main board. ASUS M3N-HT Hdmi variant

Chip. Phenom II x4 940 C2 stepping

Memory. Mushkin red line ddr2-1000

Vdda- 2.622

Memory- 2.100 (set at factory) Memory timings at 5,5,5,15,31

NF200- 1.26 (south bridge at factory)

HT bus- 1.26

NB chip- 1.26

Cpu-NB multiplier - 11x (or 2200 MHz)

Cpu-NB voltage- 1.350

Cpu-voltage- 1.450

Cpu multi- 18.50x

Core freq- 200

What has stopped you from going further?

I am not sure. cannot make stable about 3.75 at 1.50 volts with every setting tweaked and voltages pegged, and its hairy to say the least if you can call it stable. Im happy with mine at 3.70 GHz. Just for the simple fact that its rock solid 24-7. But as always I intend to try it again one day to see if I can get the clock any higher. :)

Edited by boinker

I am not sure. cannot make stable about 3.75 at 1.50 volts with every setting tweaked and voltages pegged, and its hairy to say the least if you can call it stable. Im happy with mine at 3.70 GHz. Just for the simple fact that its rock solid 24-7. But as always I intend to try it again one day to see if I can get the clock any higher. :)

Thats strange, back when i was OC'ing mine i managed to get it up to 3.95 ( i think that was on 1.48V) - took a while to figure it out but it got there alright, though i was hoping to reach 4ghz, the weird thing is im Sure it could have gone further, as i was getting 44C on full load and 3.9 was Very easy to attain, and 3.95 took some time, but after that it seemed to hit that barrier. I think in my case it was my GX chipset which was limiting me :mellow:

Still im happy with what i acomplished, and i I Learned something Important after all the time i spent - getting to know your BIOS propperly can do wonders ;)

Edited by SenitaL