Hydraulics fluid as coolant?

halfsquelch

idk 'bout this instance but oil sure cooled the hell outta my '72 superbeetle baja bug back in the day... B:)

with some good heat exchangers and fannage it could work....maybe if it's like 5w-10w low viscosity.....somebody above said it takes a longer time to warm up to operating temerature and holds heat longer than water does so therein lies the problem....

Correct. The thing about hydraulic fluid, especially that of aircraft, it is designed to stay warm so it will quickly enable the moveable surfaces to move.

When it's cold it's pretty thick and hard to move, that creates the biggest problem of using hydraulic fluid or regular oil as a coolant, it's pretty thick stuff until it warms up to its operating temperature. Keeping it cold means you need a heavy duty pump, yes it's doable but I think you'd be better off using something like mineral oil or something that isn't thick when it's cold.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And there is no such thing as Non-conductive fluid. Don't be fooled by such stupid advertising. No coolant is non-conductive, it's just a phony gimmick to get you to buy the garbage. Everything becomes conductive over time cause of the movement of metal ions into the water. This also goes for distilled water too.

Nothing transfers heat better than plain distilled water.

There are TONS of non-conductive fluids. They become conductive because of added impurities. In a perfectly sealed system they will stay non-conductive.

As for your last bit - that's entirely not true. There are plenty of things that transfer heat better than pure distilled water - you just can't afford to run them in a cooling system. :lol:

Anyway - I'd hesitate to run such a setup. It's toxic and there are more than enough other cons as noted above.

Edited by Waco

OK, here are the results, I ran this test with two different hydro fluids to see the differences.

After getting everything set up I first used some oil based hydro that I got at an auto shop here. Results where not that great, 6C hotter than my distilled water. Then I tried whatever the mil-spec hydro is that I use at work, the results where much better. It was running 4C cooler than on distilled water and the system was still running stable after a 6 hour test in Prim95, the only problem is the pump I am using sounds allot like a small generator lol. I had foam ear plugs on under my headset and finally got a visit from security forces telling me to turn it off.

The final conclusion is, yes, the mystery hydro was working better than water, but it was way to loud and would not be feasible unless I get a much quieter pump.

Time to switch back to water and wait for my gpu block to get here.

For the person b4 that said there is no such thing as non-conductive fluid there defiantly is. 3M's Flourinert is non-conductive but at $500 a gallon it is not worth it and the mil-spec hydro fluid that I used is also non-conductive, tested it at work numerous times. Also, Flourinert stays non-conductive even with minor impurities.

Back on the topic of the toxicity of hydro, I know it is toxic and yes we do turn it into hazmat when we are done with it on the line... but since my hair is full of this stuff I really don't care.

For the person that stated that I must be a mechanic, you are right. I am an aircraft mechanic and I work on A-10s, I also have a college degree in computer engineering and have been working with computers for years. So I do at least have a clue about what I am doing.

Edited by halfsquelch

OK, here are the results, I ran this test with two different hydro fluids to see the differences.

After getting everything set up I first used some oil based hydro that I got at an auto shop here. Results where not that great, 6C hotter than my distilled water. Then I tried whatever the mil-spec hydro is that I use at work, the results where much better. It was running 4C cooler than on distilled water and the system was still running stable after a 6 hour test in Prim95, the only problem is the pump I am using sounds allot like a small generator lol. I had foam ear plugs on under my headset and finally got a visit from security forces telling me to turn it off.

The final conclusion is, yes, the mystery hydro was working better than water, but it was way to loud and would not be feasible unless I get a much quieter pump.

For the person b4 that said there is no such thing as non-conductive fluid there defiantly is. 3M's Flourinert is non-conductive but at $500 a gallon it is not worth it and the mil-spec hydro fluid that I used is also non-conductive, tested it at work numerous times. Also, Flourinert stays non-conductive even with minor impurities.

Back on the topic of the toxicity of hydro, I know it is toxic and yes we do turn it into hazmat when we are done with it on the line... but since my hair is full of this stuff I really don't care.

For the person that stated that I must be a mechanic, you are right. I am an aircraft mechanic and I work on A-10s, I also have a college degree in computer engineering and have been working with computers for years. So I do at least have a clue about what I am doing.

Ok, you win, I completely 100 percent believe you accomplished everything.

I hate Security Forces think they can do whatever they want, I had one pull me over for doing 38 in a 40 and he said "I had to do 48 to catch up to you" and I'm like um k so you had to speed to catch up to me so you could pull me over to tell me that? Ok I'll make sure to still stay under 40.

Surprising results...I wonder if the difference was simply because the pump you were using was so damn powerful though. :)

Surprising results...I wonder if the difference was simply because the pump you were using was so damn powerful though. :)

For the difference between hydro fluids that is not likely as I was using the same pump for both. But for the difference with water that may be.

Edited by halfsquelch

I hate Security Forces think they can do whatever they want, I had one pull me over for doing 38 in a 40 and he said "I had to do 48 to catch up to you" and I'm like um k so you had to speed to catch up to me so you could pull me over to tell me that? Ok I'll make sure to still stay under 40.

I got slapped with drunken disorderly once for helping a drunk friend back to his dorm, needless to say I disputed it and it didn't hold. But ya Security Forces are known for for having their heads up their asses.

Edited by halfsquelch

Not likely, I was using the same pump for both hydro fluids.

around here, the medium of choice remains the same; distilled water and good ol' prestone, -84 to +276 F :lol:

you say that the hydro ran cooler than water..

but did you use the same pump for the water as you did the hydro?

I am suspicious that you used different pumps and so the reason the hydro ran cooler may be just due to higher volume being moved through the system.