Best CPU Air Cooling Solution

doclucas

What's the safest & stable OC speed I can get in your opinion on this CPU with this Mobo and stock CPU fan combined?

with just the stock cooler I wouldn't recommend going over about 3.6 if even that high. Just download Coretemp and watch your temps to make sure they dont get out of hand. A better cooler will make a world of difference. With one of the above coolers I could easily see you reaching above 4ghz

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with just the stock cooler I wouldn't recommend going over about 3.6 if even that high. Just download Coretemp and watch your temps to make sure they dont get out of hand. A better cooler will make a world of difference. With one of the above coolers I could easily see you reaching above 4ghz

What speed do you think I can reach with the Noctua NH-D14 on the i7 975? And what would be the safest settings you recommend to get this speed stable?

Corsair h50 is a good self contained water cooling system, it does about as good as the Megahalems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...mory-_-35181010

And yes you do need better cooling than stock for the CPU if you plan on overclocking, however the ram will be fine, if you are really worried about it simply get a 3 fan ram cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...4-001-_-Product

Wow! This corsair water cooler looks awesome! Thanks!

By the way, the RAM comes with quite a good ram cooler anyway, so I am not concerned about it.

What speed do you think I can reach with the Noctua NH-D14 on the i7 975? And what would be the safest settings you recommend to get this speed stable?

Every processor is different and will require different settings (voltages, multipliers, bus speeds) to get to the same overclock. The question you asked is one that you will have to answer yourself through testing the stability of your overclock.