$1000 Build for a friend

Lhiannon

Hey all, haven't been on in a while, so I'm WAY behind on my knowledge of whats the latest and greatest in computing. My good buddy has a grand to spend on a computer build, and I'd like to help him, so I'm asking you all to help me. Here's where we stand...

He's got all the peripherals. Mouse/Keyboard, Monitor, yada yada....taken care of.

He already has a 950 watt PSU.

He will NOT be overcloaking this rig. As much as I've tried to convince him, he is unmoved. So, I'm not positive, but I imagine that means he won't NEED a cooler, but you guys know more than I.

Everything else, he needs. His primary concern is having a computer that wills play the games he likes.

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenoverclockers. You're my only hope...

Detailed specs of what all you have along with budget plz..!!

The monitor has a max resolution of 1920 x 1080 (Don't know what the brand is), and its a pc power and cooling psu. Like I said, everything else (That isn't his mouse and keyboard and speakers) would be part of the build.

The budget would be $1000.

Edited by Lhiannon

that's a good brand psu, should be no worries there.

here is some quick ideas:

motherboard, cpu and ram combo deal=395.97 or 355.97 after rebate(s)

gtx 275 = 289.99 but would get a 5870 if you can find one in stock at a decent price (look for a price drop to a more reasonable a little later as the 5900 series are supposed to come out soon as well as nvidia's new card(s).

gtx 275 is a very nice graphics card but does not support dx11 and the 5800 series cards do as well as the 5770 if you wanna go a little lower end for cheaper, the 5900 cards as well as nvidia's next release are both supposed to support dx11.

wd caviar black 500 GB hard drive x2 = 69.99 + 69.99

really this depends on the space required by the user of the pc, 500 Gb is probably fine for most even if installing several games and doing practically all sorts of other stuff.

a good rule of thumb is the keep the operating system on it's own hard drive or atleast it's own partition in case there is a problem requiring reformatting it can save lots of problems in that area...

recommending two because it's a personal preference to keep both in the pc and only keep one at a time powered up with fairly up to date data on both of them, about once a month power the other up and clone it and use the other as a back up each time (kinda like a quickie restore point in case one of the drives fail and more energy saving than having a mirrored raid setup).

the western digital black series is high performance versus the green and blue series and the extra price is worth it as seagate is just not doing it lately in quality though they may be cheaper...

check out the specs on the blue and green wd caviars versus the blacks to see if it's worth it to you.

cooler master haf 932 case = 129.99

that should take care of the basics and is a nice build that should easily take care of any non dx11 game (keep in mind games should be able to be played in dx10 as well as dx11 but this is something to make sure your friend is aware of, dirt2 in dx11 is probably going to be much better :))...

didn't list an optical drive, as you can probably take care of that if your friend doesn't already have one.

the stuff listed above comes to about 955.93 and minus the rebate about 915.93, so that doesn't leave much room for a 5800 series card but if you're friend must have dx11 look into the 5770 cards and maybe crossfire them later on or something.

have fun!

Edited by Maj0r Gamer