Want to overclock but sorta stuck....

I Raven I

Ok so i got a Athlon 5200+ and i wanna try and get it to 3ghz But my motherboard wont let me for some reason as the Vcore and all that other mumbo jumbo is faded out in the bio's. I currently have a Gateway MCP61SM2MA board and i really dont want to get a new board. SO does anyone have a clue/solution to my problem? If so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me cause i just want to get the feel of O.C before i get my new board and my Phenom II X3 B.E.. cause i wanna be able to pop it in,unlock the 4th core (hopefully) and then start the O.Cin...

Overclocking features are usually disabled in OEM brands' (eg Dell, HP, Gateway, etc) BIOSes... unless you can find some haxxed bios for that gateway board, you won't be able to OC.

i guess you already tried a bios update right, and that didn't work ? so then the next thing you can do on a proprietary system like yours is replace the cpu.

you can go up to this "AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W specification" without having to change your cpu cooling solution but if you go up to the 125 watt version you'll need a better psu and cpu heat sink/ fan combo otherwise somethings gonna get to hot and that would be bad...

honestly there are a number of am2+ cpu's on the market that are faster than the one you currently use for not that much money. just keep in mind that the more power it takes the more heat will be generated and so long as you prepare for that eventuality then you can head it off before it becomes a problem.

i mentioned the cpu above because that is what is now powering my wifes junky ol dell that used to have a celeron 3200+, but there are several faster and more powerful cpu's than this on the market today...if you do some good research and ask alot of questions....gooogle everything...and shop wisely, you will learn about your machine and it capabilities and learn what cpus will be best for your needs....a good place to start is the amd forums. they are very helpful there.

good luck with that...!!

cj

Well see this is sorta why i went with the 5200+ over the 6000+ was cause it was barly slower and it ran alot cooler and it uses alot less power.The problem with the bio's update is that the Winfast mobo that i have say's its a foxconn if you google it were as CPU-Z say's it's Gateway. SO i dont know if i got with one or the other. SO there is my current situation that i probable wont be able to fix...

Alright, well... look in CPU-Z and other programs for pc info and see there are things that resemble the ones from here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813186120 Try to see if your mobo the same specs as the ones on the site. OR open the case and see what it looks like. If it's not like the one in the link then it's the Gateway. If you can't open the case due to some warranty stuff then look for holes in the case and try to make out what's inside. Bios tend to have the same look for the same brand so maybe take a photo of the main bios page and post it here, then someone who knows the different bios a little bit better can tell you if it's really a foxconn or gateway.

Wait before u go ahead with the bios. I didn't quite understand. It's just like which one? Like the one I gave the link to, or something else? Because if you meant it was like the foxconn but with 2, then it's still a foxconn...it doesn't change to a gateway just because of 2 missing ram slots. lol

Just wanna make sure that it's 100% all good. I don't want you to mess up your mobo. I suppose you know what could happen if you don't do the bios procedure correctly?

Edited by ballist1x

Wait before u go ahead with the bios. I didn't quite understand. It's just like which one? Like the one I gave the link to, or something else? Because if you meant it was like the foxconn but with 2, then it's still a foxconn...it doesn't change to a gateway just because of 2 missing ram slots. lol

Just wanna make sure that it's 100% all good. I don't want you to mess up your mobo. I suppose you know what could happen if you don't do the bios procedure correctly?

one of these three should work huh ?

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/searcher.aspx?key=MCP61SM2MA

they look like the one above for gateway except 4 memory lanes...still winfast...

huh, not a bad lil board if ya can fix up the bios and reload the drivers...could be pretty decent for a ecobuild general purpose pc....

• 1 year later...