How far is to far?

Random

I want to start off by saying I have just registered with OCC, but I have done quite a bit of reading and must say this site is a great resource. There are a few things I am still not quite sure about and figured I should ask before I push my system to far. Let me say I am new to overclocking, so please treat me as a complete noob because more info is better than less. Anyway to the point.

My Junk:

Pentium D 925 Dual Core 3.0GHz (@3.33GHz\890MHz)

XFX 680i LT SLI Mobo

2 - 2GB PC6400 DDR2 (Kingston) 5-5-5-15 2T (@850)

630W PSU

XFX 9800GT VC

Now the questions I have are related to the CPU and RAM Overclocking. My board supports a FSB of 1333, yet the Memory is only 800. Doesn't that create a huge bottle neck? I am not really too comfortable pushing my RAM much farther because I can't really monitor the heat, even though it has been running smooth for a few days now. Is it safe to keep going until it becomes unstable? As far as my CPU, it was getting hot under load, around 75C, so I bought a new heat sink today (Kingwin XT-1264) and now under load with the same settings it doesn't break 60C. Is heat the only thing I need to worry about? I don't plan on changing any voltages, just seeing how far it can go @ default as far as that goes. That's about it I think.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions, so far it has been quite fun and I hope to learn more.

-Random

:D

If your voltages are on "auto", it could cause some problems. If you put them to some value (check manuals or manufacturers' websites) which is rated as healthy for the component, it won't cause any problems. The "auto" setting can put your voltages somewhat higher than needed, so firstly I would put some regular values on them. Again, you can find that information from the manuals or google or whatever you prefer.

Raising FSB isn't making your CPU much hotter so you are safe to go as far as you only can. The big bad wolf is the voltage. If you push it too far, your chip's lifetime could be reduced. Also keep in mind that as you increase your FSB, also your RAM overclocks, so if you experience any instability, it could be also that your RAM is pushed too far. There are also other factors such as North Bridge voltage which might require tweaking. I've heard that if you can keep your fingers on your memory sticks while they're running, they're not too hot.

To actually answer your question: You don't even have to worry about heat IF you have constant voltages (not "auto").

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a guru :)

If your voltages are on "auto", it could cause some problems. If you put them to some value (check manuals or manufacturers' websites) which is rated as healthy for the component, it won't cause any problems. The "auto" setting can put your voltages somewhat higher than needed, so firstly I would put some regular values on them. Again, you can find that information from the manuals or google or whatever you prefer.

Raising FSB isn't making your CPU much hotter so you are safe to go as far as you only can. The big bad wolf is the voltage. If you push it too far, your chip's lifetime could be reduced. Also keep in mind that as you increase your FSB, also your RAM overclocks, so if you experience any instability, it could be also that your RAM is pushed too far. There are also other factors such as North Bridge voltage which might require tweaking. I've heard that if you can keep your fingers on your memory sticks while they're running, they're not too hot.

To actually answer your question: You don't even have to worry about heat IF you have constant voltages (not "auto").

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a guru :)

I think the "auto" setting varies from mobo to mobo. I know that AMD is different from intel, but I managed to go from 2.6 to 3.25 GHz on stock voltages. Can't wait to see what I can get out of it when I start pushing voltage.

In addition "how far is too far" is going to be determined by stability and heat. If you can remove the heat, you'll get further if you can keep it stable. At least that's what I've found so far.

Edited by enrgizerbunny

Ok what you wanna do first is to understand all the Auto values in ur bios. Know what the values are.

Before I continue I gotta say that thats one hot CPU. I don't know how hot it should be so I'm not talk much about it although my CPU's max is 70C before it starts to...well I don't know what starts to happen but it's bad for sure.

Now! If you won't push your voltages you won't get a big overclock so basically all you wanna do is work with the FSB and cpu multi. When it starts crashing, pull back a little and thats what you'll get. RAM doesn't affect things much as fas as CPU oc is concerned. ( I think). Your voltages and temp is the only things you wanna worry about. I don't think anything bad will happen unless you really screw it up..in an imaginable way...the worst thing is that it won't post and you'll have to reset CMOS (look at mobo manual for instructions on how to do it). If everything is really on stock then as I said, only FSB and multiplier will have to be changed to find the speed that your PC will be comfortable with.

As for how far is far...well it's when your cpu goes boom...although thats a bit way too far so basically when you get bsod or ur pc doesn't post nomatter what you do, thats the end of the line unless you want to increase voltage and continue.

Now I wanna know why your CPU is so hot. What thermal paste are you using? I suggest AS5 (arctic silver 5). Make sure that your voltage is at stock as you want it because voltage is the main reason for higher or lower temps. If it really is...I don't think you can overclock with changing the voltage even if you wanted to because unless your CPU can hold out on 100C it will get damaged. Cooler is good so I don't know why it's so hot.

Useful programs for monitoring voltage, temp, speed etc.:

CPU-Z (free)

HW Monitor (free)

gpu-z (free...it's for your video card)

Lavalys Everest (not free unless you pirate it)

Core Temp (free)

I hope I cleared some stuff up. :)

EDIT: I just wanna say why it's good to have your values in the bios and not AUTO. It's because that way you know 100% that the value is what it is, and it won't change unless YOU change it.

Edited by ballist1x

Wall of text

I think you misread his post a little. He said that 75c was with his old heatsink and the new one DOESN'T hit 60c.

As an addition, I forgot to say, you don't have to worry about your RAM if your CPU is multiplier unlocked.

If it doesn't break 60C so what...58C on load or what? Mine doesn't break 35C....so what? Doesn't really give enough info so that I can write my post accordingly so I simply assumed. Anyway, what I wrote still stands.

Also, yes do try to unlock the multi, it will help you overclock, and not make ram an issue, but unless you have a Black Edition CPU (which you don't) use fsb as well of course. Find the combination that gets the cpu clock the highest.

Now the questions I have are related to the CPU and RAM Overclocking. My board supports a FSB of 1333, yet the Memory is only 800. Doesn't that create a huge bottle neck? I am not really too comfortable pushing my RAM much farther because I can't really monitor the heat, even though it has been running smooth for a few days now. Is it safe to keep going until it becomes unstable? As far as my CPU, it was getting hot under load, around 75C, so I bought a new heat sink today (Kingwin XT-1264) and now under load with the same settings it doesn't break 60C. Is heat the only thing I need to worry about? I don't plan on changing any voltages, just seeing how far it can go @ default as far as that goes. That's about it I think.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions, so far it has been quite fun and I hope to learn more.

-Random

:D

One thing to keep in mind, your FSB runs at 4x reference clock, your ram runs at 2x reference clock... so if your memory is linked (1:1 multiplyer) to get the ram at 800 your FBS would be running at 1600....