Best bang for buck SSD

insan3

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think ill just wait a little longer until they fix all the issues, great info guys.

That might prove a looong wait, since the "competition" is not getting anywhere with their hardware and production methods.

Intel SSDs have a great price and they perform superbly, not to mention that you can upgrade later with RAID setup. On top of all, they are performing rock stable.

Always the same problem when a person asks for advice and assumes that advice will be based on firsthand experience. Someone comes along ranting as fact things that have been read or what they think may be true because of their limited exposure to the product of topic.

Always the same problem when a person asks for advice and assumes that advice will be based on firsthand experience. Someone comes along ranting as fact things that have been read or what they think may be true because of their limited exposure to the product of topic.

Ranting?

I'm sorry; I was unaware that descriptions are ranting on this highly technological forum.

Nice greeting for a new member; thank you; ohh, right, new members should be perhaps meek till properly broke-in?

think may be true...

I presented my point of view, you're presenting imputation.

Someone comes along..

Are you trying to tell me as a moderator, that the said here is judged based on forum-pedigree, rather than on contents?

An answer would be nice; to know if pack an go away.

This goes also for the method of reviewing here or just the forum?

Ranting?

Considering that the information you posted is only partially true; it seemed a bit like a anti-not-Intel post.

The loss in write performance from the block rewrite penalty is nowhere near as severe as you make it sound on recent drive and the only reason the Intel MLC drives don't have as much of a problem is because they start out with an artificial cap at ~50% of the drive's true write speed. Even stuck in a used state if you never used the Trim tool (or run a TRIM-capable operating system) many of the Samsung and Indilinx drives stay pretty competitive. With the tool or proper TRIM support they pretty much blow the Intel drives out of the water for everyday use (gaming, etc) for far less money.

Posting information is fine but don't take it as an attack on you when people question what you're saying (especially being new).

Edited by Waco

I presented my point of view, you're presenting imputation.

If I am the only one that does not read your above posts as a "point of view" I will be more then happy to apologize. What you have posted is done so under the illusion of fact.

Intel SSDs do not suffer from fragmentation issues as Samsung or Indilinx controlled drives.

The last two mentioned are faster on paper, but their performance drops very hard in time; to restore them you have to delete all data and use a special command (and tool) to erase the "internal address phone book".

All drives suffer from fragmentation without both the operating system and drive supporting and using Trim. Just a fact of life with NAND architecture. There are ways to mask this so that the issue appears minimal to the user but it is still present none the less.

With the latest shipping firmware from Samsung, which I have already alluded to is a shot in the dark if the drive will have it, and v1571 firmware from Indilinx performance is maintained to at least 85% of new.

Not even sure what "internal address phone book" is suppose to mean. Any tool or command that deletes all data is writing the bit value of 1 to all the cells of the drive thus setting them to an unprogrammed state or what is commonly referred to as erased.

Your other posts contain the same inaccuracies. I think we all agree that line by line examples are not really needed in this thread.

There is not a single person here that is going to say that a member cannot state their opinion. However, stating an opinion and presenting that opinion as unsubstantiated fact are two different things entirely.

The truth of the matter is with the current SSD offerings a person can't really go wrong regardless of choice. In day to day use the majority of users would not be able to differentiate the performance difference of one drive to the next. The choice should be made on storage capacity needs, price and support if that is an important consideration of the user.

The truth of the matter is with the current SSD offerings a person can't really go wrong regardless of choice. In day to day use the majority of users would not be able to differentiate the performance difference of one drive to the next. The choice should be made on storage capacity needs, price and support if that is an important consideration of the user.

While I agree with the above, except maybe JMicron drives...

I (we) know you're obsessed with price, but you're obviously missing something here. Let me do the math for you:

Vertex 60GB : $239 ($3.98/GB)

Intel G2 80GB : $289 ($3.61/GB)

Agility 60GB : $199 ($3.32/GB)

The Agility is a better value (you love this word, riiight...?), but not the Vertex.