First X58 PC Build

Ironeyes

I'm currently looking to build a new computer to run on Windows 7 Professional.

Current X58 Build:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...Number=15842868

+

CPU Cooler - Prolimatech Mega Shadow Deluxe Edition CPU Heatsink

http://www.crazypc.com/products/mega-shadow-508603.html

The idea behind this build is keeping with the top of the line aesthetic, while maintaining decent cost efficiency.

I plan on overclocking the CPU to 4.0-4.1 GHz. I will be waiting for the 5870X2 to come out, so add ~$200 to my build. The SSD is the OS and intensive app drive, and the Raptor is the Gaming hard drive. For the fans, the Slipstream is for pull and one of the GentleTyphoons are for push on my CPU cooler. The remaining 2 are extra case fans. I have somewhat of a price barrier at ~$2500.

I'm seriously thinking of switching the case back to the Antec P183 for its superior airflow. Anyone think I shouldn't?

Thanks a lot to any help you can give me.

Edited by Ironeyes

This ram is better me and roarkchris can run it at lower than 1.65 dram voltage and it has way better timings and it costs less and it overclocks well compared to that corsair ram. I don't know how corsair (the ram area) stays in business with such poor timings at such high prices.

little more money gets you an intel ssd. It also has 20GB more.

Don't get a Velociraptor. 7200rpm hard drives are super fast now and you'll never see the difference. Plus you already have an SSD on the list. Save $100 and get a WD Black 1TB.

if your a student and don't have windows 7 yet, $30 at this link with a .edu email

you'd get more performance not buying the ssd or the velociraptor or the second set of ram and instead just a second 5870 and a WD Black 1TB.

Edited by xchrissypoox

This ram is better me and roarkchris can run it at lower than 1.65 dram voltage and it has way better timings and it costs less and it overclocks well compared to that corsair ram. I don't know how corsair (the ram area) stays in business with such poor timings at such high prices.

little more money gets you an intel ssd. It also has 20GB more.

That's why I ask sites like this -- they tell the general truth with little bias =)

I was looking at the SSD's, and yeah, Intel is a bit better than the OCZ Vertex, but it doesn't support TRIM and I heard Intel's having big problems with their firmware.

Don't get a Velociraptor. 7200rpm hard drives are super fast now and you'll never see the difference. Plus you already have an SSD on the list. Save $100 and get a WD Black 1TB.

Do you have any benchmarks to back this up? If it's only a bit behind I could jump on this.

I'm actually in my last year of High School. My father might be able to get it for free though (he's in the Army) - that or we'll buy it for all of our home computers.

you'd get more performance not buying the ssd or the velociraptor or the second set of ram and instead just a second 5870 and a WD Black 1TB.

Like I said, I'm gonna wait for the 5870X2. But I'll SO get that WD Black, at a lower size, if it's good enough =)

Thanks so much for the information!! :lol:

Edited by Ironeyes

That's why I ask sites like this -- they tell the general truth with little bias =)

I was looking at the SSD's, and yeah, Intel is a bit better than the OCZ Vertex, but it doesn't support TRIM and I heard Intel's having big problems with their firmware.

I didn't know any SSDs had trim yet? I don't really keep up with them.

Do you have any benchmarks to back this up? If it's only a bit behind I could jump on this.

Heres the HDtune results of the WD Velociraptor 300GB vraptorhdtunenew.jpg

And here is a WD Black3329628031_ac28c1e10e_o.png

The access time is almost irrelevant (in music if a note was 5ms late it would sound like it had played on time because 5ms is such a small amount of time though you probably know this). 87MB/s average transfer is so fast, I have a 640GB black and it is about the same and the only thing with a noticeable load time is photoshop.

Like I said, I'm gonna wait for the 5870X2. But I'll SO get that WD Black, at a lower size, if it's good enough =)

snap didn't read very carefully.

This ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231272

This harddrive (for OS,apps, games): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...500gb%207200.12

you want proof, I own a velociraptor and my dad's new seagate 500GB is so much more responsive and costed 1/4 of what this 10k rpm wa$te of money did.

Seagate 7200.12 500GB

Seagate7200_12.png

VelociCraptor 300GB

raptor.png

I'll gladly sell you my Velociraptor so I could get a 7200.12 if you still aren't convinced

Edited by IVIYTH0S

The access time is almost irrelevant (in music if a note was 5ms late it would sound like it had played on time because 5ms is such a small amount of time though you probably know this). 87MB/s average transfer is so fast, I have a 640GB black and it is about the same and the only thing with a noticeable load time is photoshop.

Access time is the only reason SSDs are so fast compared to regular drives...and why the Velociraptor (and Raptor) are still faster than "just as fast" 7200 RPM drives.

Average speed is fine but you'll never hit that sustained rate when doing anything significant. That said, I wouldn't buy any "performance" hard drive today. Big storage drives just need high sustained bandwidth. For speed you want to go SSD or nothing. :P

Access time is the only reason SSDs are so fast compared to regular drives...and why the Velociraptor (and Raptor) are still faster than "just as fast" 7200 RPM drives.

Average speed is fine but you'll never hit that sustained rate when doing anything significant. That said, I wouldn't buy any "performance" hard drive today. Big storage drives just need high sustained bandwidth. For speed you want to go SSD or nothing. :P

while this holds some merit, my dad's computer is noticably peppier then mine

I didn't know any SSDs had trim yet? I don't really keep up with them.

Yeah, they do in Windows 7 =)

What do you think about me picking up 4x WD Black 500 GB's in Raid 0?

Check out this crap with only 2x Raid 0 -

wowv.jpg

He did it using "Short Stroking". I'm not 100% what it is, but looking around it seems it's generally just partitioning your drive. Alah ~20% of the space going to OS and applications and the rest going to data.

That would save a bit of money and give me somewhat of a performance increase too! Unless I'm stupid... which I very well may be =)

By the way, I use a 1.5 TB External for most of my data holding needs, so 500 is about the max of what I need. I could go lower.

Edited by Ironeyes

Yeah, they do in Windows 7 =)

What do you think about me picking up 4x WD Black 500 GB's in Raid 0?

Check out this crap with only 2x Raid 0 -

He did it using "Short Stroking". I'm not 100% what it is, but looking around it seems it's generally just partitioning your drive. Alah ~20% of the space going to OS and applications and the rest going to data.

That would save a bit of money and give me somewhat of a performance increase too! Unless I'm stupid... which I very well may be =)

If one fails you lose all of your data, you could do 2 in raid 0 and 2 as backup (is it called 0+1?) (though I'm sure there is a simpler way, I just don't know all raid configurations).

Edited by xchrissypoox

If one fails you lose all of your data, you could do 2 in raid 0 and 2 as backup (is it called 0+1?) (though I'm sure there is a simpler way, I just don't know all raid configurations).

Is there a high probability that it will fail? I don't think I'll really care if it does fail as I'll be putting my important crap on my external, but if it fails often it'll be a hassle.

Edited by Ironeyes

Is there a high probability that it will fail? I don't think I'll really care if it does fail as I'll be putting my important crap on my external, but if it fails often it'll be a hassle.

I recall seeing an article on the probability of a raid 0 setup failing a long while back but I couldn't find it, I have never heard much good about it but I guess if you have nothing to lose it doesn't matter just be aware of the risk.

chart.gif

I recall seeing an article on the probability of a raid 0 setup failing a long while back but I couldn't find it, I have never heard much good about it but I guess if you have nothing to lose it doesn't matter just be aware of the risk.

Check out the new setup. I'll be using a SSD for my OS and 2xCaviar Blacks in Matrix Raid 0 for Apps and data.

Edited by Ironeyes