Peltier on a AM3 Phenom??????????

Well I have a Asus Crosshair II Formula motherboard with a AMD Phenom II x4 955 black edition, with a THOR'S HAMMER HDT-S126384 CPU Cooler. the cooler has 2 133cfm fans attached to it, and i would like to keep the current heatsink, i have already ordered a 400watt peltier measuring at 50mmx50mmx3mm, i have also ordered the copper cold plate and thermal paste and plenty of fans to cool the case. i already know about waterproofing the motherboard, i just need help with figuring out how to actually attach this peltier between this heatsink and the cpu. as far as i can figure it probally won't fit in there as is and i don't know how i am supposed to so can you please help.

Get longer screws for the AM2 motherboard bracket and put spacers in between it and the motherboard until you can attach the heatsink. Just a suggestion I don't know if you can actually do that or not.

Well i hope i can do this, because i have everything ordered except the grease, and foam. I really do hope it works but if it doesnt i sure can make one hell of a peltier pc case cooler. i have two left over heatsinks rated for 145watts of heat.

so with the longer screws?? how will this work since i normally dont use screws, it is a clip that holds it on, are there screw holes under my clip bracket or what do i do pleas help.

the bracket will have screws, undo them and replace them.

I wouldn't trust the qcmax to be 400w on a 50x50mm.

that heat sink is decent but I highly doubt it will run good with a high watt pelt and the quad core cpu's heat output. might want some water cooling

Well i don't want to deal with the size, price, and the maintenance of watercooling. I have already ordered the fan and the peltier, i have read up on the peltier, it is a cheap peltier, but it is really 400watt qmax, just very inefficient. I was figuring that if the heatsink couldn't take the heat very well, i would just upgrade the fans to 200+ CFM fans, that would work wouldn't it??

It would help but due to the laws of thermodynamics there is a point at which no extra air flow can overcome the rate at which heat is flowing into the heatsink, when the sink heats to capacity no more heat can absorbed, fans help to move this heat away from the heat sink. The problem though you face is that you may produce more heat than heatsink can take up at a sufficient speed, in short if you do not have enough absorption too heatsink with enough capacity, you'll have built a heat bomb. From what I understand so far of what you are planning a heat bomb is exactly what you will get,

having a 400w peltier means in order for it to cool the processor correctly you would need a sink with a very efficient absorb/disperse rate(try about 10to9 respectively for this to work) and at least 200W of heat capacity and some serious fans. Honestly it is a nice project but you will really need w/c to accomplish your goal, from what it looks like. Look at all the attempted air peltier combos out there they are expensive, massive, loud and rather ineffective for cost, they are often beaten by the true 120 black edition soundly. The only small pelt system I have seen work well is the coolit domino and you guessed it, it uses a smaller pelt and water cooling. If you are afraid of w/cing use a vapo chill system you will get great results and a lot less hassle than the air pelt setup your talking about.

/rnd rant

well i'll still give it a shot sinc eit already ordered, but if it doesnt work, do you think i would be able to make a peltier pc case cooler, by using two heatsinks on each side one inside the case and one outside of the case, they are rated for 145watts each?? or what else would you suggest.

I've water cooled all my PCs for a while and I'm about to add a 127 W peltier to my AMD 965 system. I've been using peltiers for other purposes but never with my high end PCs because of all the stories I've heard of condensation or overheating resulting in damage to the CPU or motherboard. To avoid such catastrophes I'm inserting the pelier chip not on the cpu but between a waterblock and a thermaltake big typhoon heatsink I got on clearance for $5. I'm then inserting this unit into the already existing waterline so it will function like a second radiator.

I'll never get the CPU below ambient but I should be able to stay very close to it even when heavily overclocked. There is also no danger of condensation or overheating. If I lost power to the peltier chip, the main radiator would still keep the system safe.