(Gaming) Phenom II x4 955 vs i7 / Waste of money

That benchmarks looks really bad... with a GTx280,medium quality, 1680x1050 you get THAT much low fps on far cry? 51?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom...955,2278-9.html

Here with GTX 260, on High, at 1920x1200 I still see 71 FPS, even beating the i7.

Something went extremly wrong in anadtech... You shure they didnt actually change the scores between both CPU? XD

Id rather take a more serious benchmark site that do care about the performance/price like toms, and no they arent biased.

I think even this:

http://www.modreactor.com/english/Reviews/...is-Warhead.html

Is enough to realize that anadtech maybe was a bit too obvious on the cheating...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's monitors that interest me more. If a monitor as a refresh rate of lets say 60Hz, and a lot do, and a game as a FPS figure of lets say 120FPS (which could be written as 120Hz?), how does the monitor display the picture at the games intended rate?

Cheers

Paul

that's what vsync is for, and there would be alot of screen tearing, unless the monitor was 120Hz which i think there is 1 or 2 that do that but you'd have to get a TV or something

your eyes can only process 60Hz give or take so doubling or quadrupling the amount of frames would make everything look a lot smoother

That benchmarks looks really bad... with a GTx280,medium quality, 1680x1050 you get THAT much low fps on far cry? 51?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom...955,2278-9.html

Here with GTX 260, on High, at 1920x1200 I still see 71 FPS, even beating the i7.

Something went extremly wrong in anadtech... You shure they didnt actually change the scores between both CPU? XD

Id rather take a more serious benchmark site that do care about the performance/price like toms, and no they arent biased.

I think even this:

Is enough to realize that anadtech maybe was a bit too obvious on the cheating...

did you read the rest of the article?

it's very interesting to look at single threaded applications

Well of course i5 has a clear advantage, and that is the turbo mod.

But is it even necessary when most of the applications, EVEN GAMES are now multithreaded....

that would have been usefull quite a few years go.

1+

But is it even necessary when most of the applications, EVEN GAMES are now multithreaded....

that's the CPU bench not the GPU bench

and you'd be suprised at how many single threaded applications there are, mainly just old games but still at least it's a nice feature

Edited by CowKing

That's not really true. Dual core CPUs generally perform better because there is a dedicated core for the game that doesn't have to juggle anything else. The majority of games today are still very highly single threaded and that's exactly where Turbo Boost helps a ton.

Turbo is actually a genius invention, it is gonna keep intel way higher on lots of benchmarks for some time, even in amd was able to match intel per clock on power!

Turbo isnt limited to single threaded apps, i dont know where you got that, but even if it where true it still would be an amazing boost, from out of nowhere, for the everyday computer users. more on turbo

You act like turbo isnt a big deal, but if you done some research you would see that amd has attempted to copy it via software profiles in AMD overdrive utility.

I will also again disagree on you on the fact that the Phenom2 didnt get any hype. It got plenty of hype, and was a breath of freash air for AMD. Considering the global economy issues, the phenom2 was very successful.

And i just dont understand why you are confused about why AMD would release the phenom 2 965. I almost laughed when i read this....

Dunno why AMD even made this...

Look in my sig, i love AMD and do support them. But should i stop there and be satisfied just because you are?

I bought AMD for gaming because it made since for me, but i do own an intel e8400 rig amongst the many others. Should i only bought AMD because it can do everything the others can?

Its a shame AMD are behind so far in the advanced features such as hyperthreading and turbo. It sounds as if your saying the i7's, and i5's arent good for gaming or that the phenom2s are way better. there are many many benchies at so many different settings and resolutions that a person could show the i5 or the i7 way ahead in gaming.

If all you do is game, then there is nothing wrong with a phenom 2 setup, i agree 100%. But if all you do is game, what is the crime in using an i7/i5 setup? I dont see anything wrong with a person spending what he wants for what he wants to get.

The i7 is far more powerful then the phenom2 and its not only in zipping and encoding that it has an advantage. In gaming where the GPU is limiting, of course the phenom2 will look like its just as powerful. But all that is on the GPU. PPL do more then game. Even when they game, there is stuff in the background running. I dont see the harm in having a more powerful CPU, when you can afford it!

Besides, when ppl say they want to build a gaming rig on a budget, they usually get advised on an AMD build. If you look all over the net, its in every forum. Over and over and over. When there is a post on suggesting, one of the first questions asked is "what is your budget". I have seen very few that suggest to go i7 when on a tight budget and skimp on the GPU. When you want to build a gaming rig, you must always spend a good amount of the money on the GPU. This includes cutting corners, getting "weaker" cpus. All the way down to dual core Phenoms and athlon X4s. Everyone knows building a gaming rig on a budget usually means an AMD CPU, right off the bat. Everyone already knows save the most you can for a good GPU.

Your correct in the fact that Phenom2s make a lot of since for gaming, its perfectly logical. But i cant say 100% that the i7 or i5 doesnt make since. Its the individual circumstance which should call the play. If you are saying what is good for you should be good for everyone then....... it sounds lame when i put it that way, doesnt it? Dont think that way! Your vast amount of info would be more useful if you applied it to ppl who where looking to build a new system, not to ppl that already have. There are many ppl that could use help deciding and you should go to those ppls aid.

Dont you think that would be more useful?

That benchmarks looks really bad... Something went extremly wrong in anadtech... You shure they didnt actually change the scores between both CPU? XD

I think even this:

Somewhat off topic,

I support utilizing AMD as the processor of choice in a gaming budget build, just as you. However, I don't think it wise tarnishing the name of a respected and trusted review site, Anandtech, because their results don't align with the point you're attempting to prove. Looking over the review done at Anandtech, their methodology was sound, and I'd read and trust a review from them any day before one from ModReactor, a site which until now I haven't even heard of.

The ratios are the same when you look at the Crysis Warhead benches at the same resolution tested, I fail to see what you're getting at

Edit: Just looked over the FarCry2 benchmarks, one benchmarking anomaly I'll forgive, but the others remain true. As for you not bashing their credibility, I'm pretty sure you calling their results cheating qualifies as bashing.

Edited by ekiM

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-750-...-review-test/18

Will you trust guru3d then?

Can you explain to me why the benchies doesnt "match"?

This is why I didnt believe anandtech, because I saw EVERYWHERE else some pretty much different reviews.

There no bashing names or whatever.

?!?!?!? the phenom got PWNED what are you talking about? and only at the higher resolutions is it equal to the i7, Why? because it's the GPU limiting it not the CPU