Low temps but unable to OC at all

Hi, I have a gigabyte 770 UD3P motherboard with an unlocked AMD X2 550 BE processor. My cpu runs at around 36 Celsius, but whenever I try to OC at all the system does not run stably(is that a word?). I've tried simply changing the core mhz just by 10 and increasing the multiplier by simply .5 on separate occasions while keeping the vcore (1.35v) and everything else on auto. Anyone got any ideas why it doesn't OC at all?

Thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need a little more information here ...

Are you using the BIOS or a software in Windows?

Are you using the FSB or Multiplier in order to OC?

If you are using the FSB are you compensating the multiplier of the NB/HTT?

What are your voltage readings?

:withstupid:

what settings have you tried?

sounds to me like you kept the voltage at stock 1.35v, if that's the case, you might need to give it a bump to retain stability

sorry if I didn't make it clear, I'm kinda new to this. But yes I'm OCing in the BIOS and I've tried changing FSB by small increments and the Multiplier by small increments and the cpu still doesn't run stable, I guess I haven't bumped the voltage up when I OC just a tiny bit, but I have if I try OCing to a higher amount it still doesn't run stable.

First things first. Do not use the FSB to OC for this particular CPU, at least not at first. Your CPU already has an unlocked multiplier so raising the frequency can be easily accomplished by doing so.

Raising your FSB will raise the frequency of your NB and HTT as well as your memory. It is likely that your memory does not liked to be overclocked, or you have an unstable NB/HTT.

Depending on what you plan for the CPU I would recommend you do the following:

1. Raise CPU voltage by .024v

2. Leave FSB set to 200MHz

3. Ensure multiplier for NB and HTT are set to 10x (2000MHz)

4. Raise multiplier for CPU one notch

5. Save and restart

If it boots try doing a stress test like OCCT or Prime95 to ensure stability. Repeat the steps above until you are no longer stable. Also, I would recommend that you continually check your temps so you don't go fish frying your new 550BE! :)

Another thing you may want to make sure of is that you do not have any other OCing software running in Windows, we don't want any conflicts.

Also, list your complete computer specs please!

First things first. Do not use the FSB to OC for this particular CPU, at least not at first. Your CPU already has an unlocked multiplier so raising the frequency can be easily accomplished by doing so.

Raising your FSB will raise the frequency of your NB and HTT as well as your memory. It is likely that your memory does not liked to be overclocked, or you have an unstable NB/HTT.

Depending on what you plan for the CPU I would recommend you do the following:

5. Save and restart

If it boots try doing a stress test like OCCT or Prime95 to ensure stability. Repeat the steps above until you are no longer stable. Also, I would recommend that you continually check your temps so you don't go fish frying your new 550BE! :)

Another thing you may want to make sure of is that you do not have any other OCing software running in Windows, we don't want any conflicts.

Also, list your complete computer specs please!

:withstupid:

the only thing I have to say about this is that in #1) motherboards have different increments for voltage, for instance mine does increments of 0.0125v, so I would just normally suggest raising by 1 increment at a time

but otherwise +1

Also I find linpack (IntelBurnTest) to be a good and quick stability checker (not for final OCs!!) that normally takes ~15-20 minutes for 5 max stress runs compared to OCCT's 1 hour. However, I use both. linpack for early stages, once i get higher i do linpack for a quick check then right after run OCCT.. for final OC: linpack, followed by OCCT, followed by ~12hours prime95

..all the while monitoring temps, of course :)

...Depending on what you plan for the CPU I would recommend you do the following:

5. Save and restart...

So, if it's stable at 15.5x, just wondering why would I start at 10x?

^I see, well thanks for the help, I've actually manage to get at least a 3.3ghz overclock that's stable (I think running p95 now). Just a side question, why do I need to test for 12 hours? That seems a little excessive, I mean I doubt that I'll play games for stretches longer than 2 or 3 hours at one time, so why do I need to test stability for 12?

Well right now you don't but as you keep going and try to find your max I would suggest a nice long test just to make sure everything is nice and stable once you find a max speed you are comfortable with.