Is FSB also known as CPU Host/HTT Clock

sack_patrol

I'm looking at my mobos bios online so I don't have to turn of the PC just for than, and back again so I can figure out what all the stuff are. Now I obviously have to oc using the fsb (maybe not only using it but still), and I don't see something called "FSB" in the bios, so I'm looking around and trying to figure out which one it is.

Heres what I'm reading now. http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1015/3/

"FSB" is an Intel thing, AMD uses HT bus instead, although some BIOS's have many different names for it, in your case it seems it is CPU Host/HTT Clock.

CPU Host/HTT Clock multiplied by your CPU clock ratio will equal your CPU speed.

:withstupid: +1 agreed.

if you go to the overclocking page of that article, they post a CPU-z pic reading fsb at 237, then in the caption below it they say they reached 237HTT

so there's your answer B:)

So is this the thing that will adjust my fsb:dram ratio? Also, obviously I'm going for 3.6ghz on my cpu, so if 237 is the max, I could after that up the multiplier rite?

EDIT: A little question: I've seen people talk about the Command Rate (CR) which could either be 1T or 2T. What does that do... and what is better.

Edited by ballist1x

I had little luck with 1t on ddr2, but so far most ddr3 dimms work well with 1t. As far as the amd "fsb" (AMD really need a universal term) when you raise the speed pf it, it does also raise the HT, NB, and memory speed as its all linked toegether. You can usually get some good results by raising it along with the multiplier. But you must not go too high so that your ram will be running to high and cause errors. Usually everything will be fine up to 210mhz, most ram can run over its rated spec a little. If you want to go higher with this you can take other measures such as loosening the ram timings, or change the default starting ram speed say ddr1066.

I think all ph2s respond well to a little bump in the "fsb" and sometimes you can get the same high OC for less vcore compaired to just using the multiplier

Anyway there is a NB multiplier with BE's that you can raise memory bandwidth without actually OCing the ram.

They reached a max of 237 FSB/HTT with their test. That doesn't mean you will necessarilly max at 237.. not all boards are the same, some will clock higher than others, so you may go well over 237 or you may not even be able to reach 237...

And besides, you have a Black Edition cpu.. what are you playing with teh FSB for? Use the Multiplier!!!!!

They reached a max of 237 FSB/HTT with their test. That doesn't mean you will necessarilly max at 237.. not all boards are the same, some will clock higher than others, so you may go well over 237 or you may not even be able to reach 237...

And besides, you have a Black Edition cpu.. what are you playing with teh FSB for? Use the Multiplier!!!!!

My ram doesnt work well @ 1600mhz as its rated, is that why you run urs lower too? Well the ph2s dont offically support 1600mhz ram anyhow, my imc just cant keep up, i get memory errors out the bum bum running 1600 7-7-7-24, but i can run ~1500 5-5-5 fine, its strange....

Also is that how you OC your 720, just the multiplier? you dont use any "fsb"?

Guest ajmatson

I assume this in on an AMD based board? If so most of the board I have worked with use limited straps (dividers for the memory to BUS speed) AMD uses a reference clock on which all of the components run off of. The base for the AM2+ and AM3 processors is 200MHz. Then the CPU/HTT/Memory have multipliers in which they get their speeds. To overclock the memory once on the highest strap you have to push the reference clock from 200MHz on up. At the same time you have to watch your HT speed and CPU speed and drop their multipliers if they become unstable to compensate. Hope this helps you understand a bit more.