New i7 build

rourkchris

I'll add a pair of the next generation ATI/nVidia cards regardless. Watercooling is just something I'm considering right now. It's not needed so I probably won't.

Direct X 11 doesn't get me that exited though to be honest. I read a post by Verran today that really reminded me how excited everyone was for Direct X 10 and I don't really see what the big deal is with it. Actually I resent it a bit. I have to buy a whole new video card just to take advantage of some small texture, shading, and lighting improvements? I feel that I should be able to use simple software extensions if the hardware is powerful enough with nothing more than a simple downloadable patch. Having said that I'm always buying the latest hardware and am chasing technology even when I really don't need it to enjoy my gaming experience. I just enjoy having new hardware but it's never as satisying as I thought it would be.

EDIT: My hypocrisy knows no bounds. I'll probably order a socket 1156 i7 860 this weekend for my new backup PC. I've loaded my shopping cart at newegg with a i7 860, Asus P7P55D EVO motherboard, 4GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1600 combo, and a Cooler Master CPU cooler.

i am excited about the performance for a while i played crysis on xp , yes there is a difference between dx 9 and 10 ,11 , this does not mean when a new card with new dx support come out go and get right away , good luck with your p55 build , i am going to get one but with

msi p55-g65 i like this oc genie button :D , or i will get gigabyte p55-ud4p

but i will wait till the reviews come , i do not want to get a board and pay a ton of money and find out that i could have bought one with less money which will give the same performance , like what happened with my i7 board ....

as for the cpu cooler i think i will get v8 , .......good luck ..:)

and congratulations on your overclock i did not notice that you got the i7 to 4ghz .....

I don't think ever get water cooling since high end air has always given me great performance without hooking up all that extra stuff like a water cooling system. air cooling you just pop on the cooler and go!!

Edited by IVIYTH0S

may try later today to see if it can do 1800-1866 speeds with 6-7-6-18 timings @ 1.65v. Some other time I'll see how tight the timings can run at slower speeds though I don't know which will benefit more-straight speed or faster timings. I'd like to know which is better if anyone knows.

I need something beside Memtest to test the RAM. I'd like something to test from within Windows.

Glad to see you got your build done, I just got mine in to a case and am waiting on a dvd drive so I can install vista 64 [edit: have xp 32 installed]

ram test that works in windows, I haven't had a chance to use it since I don't have a 64-bit os yet.

I currently have my ram (which is the same as yours) running at 6-7-5-17 with qpi/dram core 1.25v, dram bus 1.59v.

I assume you plan on lowering your cpu voltage from 1.35? I'm at the same clockspeed (200x20) with 1.25 though I've only done 3 hours of stability testing with prime95

Now I understand why so many have gone to watercooling their i7s. Starting to really consider this myself. I think I've mulled over the Fesser Monsta radiator just about everyday for a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll go ahead and get it. Maybe not I can't decide if I want to commit to it.

Feser Mosta $260

XSPC RX480 $125

XSPC RX320 $95

I've been staring at the xspc RX320 for the water cooling I'm gonna do on mine, though I'm doing CPU only and keeping the price under $250

Edited by xchrissypoox

i am excited about the performance for a while i played crysis on xp , yes there is a difference between dx 9 and 10 ,11 , this does not mean when a new card with new dx support come out go and get right away , good luck with your p55 build , i am going to get one but with

msi p55-g65 i like this oc genie button :D , or i will get gigabyte p55-ud4p

but i will wait till the reviews come , i do not want to get a board and pay a ton of money and find out that i could have bought one with less money which will give the same performance , like what happened with my i7 board ....

as for the cpu cooler i think i will get v8 , .......good luck ..:)

and congratulations on your overclock i did not notice that you got the i7 to 4ghz .....

Oh I know there is a difference between Direct X versions they just don't seem all that earth-shattering to me. It just seems a lot of hype and little substance.

Watched the video link that you posted and that MSI board looks nice. I like the Intel board in the review done here too though I've never liked any Intel board before.

I don't think ever get water cooling since high end air has always given me great performance without hooking up all that extra stuff like a water cooling system. air cooling you just pop on the cooler and go!!

I much prefer air cooling as well. Just mount it up and go. Of course there is no potential for leaks and electrical shorts with air either. I don't think I'll go with water for now unless it's a sealed system like the Corsair H5O but would prefer it were at least a dual radiator. I've been a little fearful of watercooling so just that alone means I'll probably have to give it a try somtime in the future. I like a challenge.

Glad to see you got your build done, I just got mine in to a case and am waiting on a dvd drive so I can install vista 64 [edit: have xp 32 installed]

ram test in windows I haven't had a chance to use it since I don't have a 64-bit os yet.

I currently have my ram (which is the same as yours) running at 6-7-5-17 with qpi/dram core 1.25v, dram bus 1.59v.

I assume you plan on lowering your cpu voltage from 1.35? I'm at the same clockspeed (200x20) with 1.25 though I've only done 3 hours of stability testing with prime95

Feser Mosta $260

XSPC RX480 $125

XSPC RX320 $95

I've been staring at the xspc RX320 for the water cooling I'm gonna do on mine, though I'm doing CPU only and keeping the price under $250

Thanks for the link. Nice timings you've got there! I still need to do some testing and try to lower the CPUv though my air cooling is handling it pretty well at the moment.

I've looked at all of those radiators too. Mine would be CPU only as well.

I have to buy a whole new video card just to take advantage of some small texture, shading, and lighting improvements? I feel that I should be able to use simple software extensions if the hardware is powerful enough with nothing more than a simple downloadable patch.

Could not have put it better myself i know how ya feel.

Finally got it dialed in at the lowest voltage to run 4Ghz 24/7 @ 1.26875 in BIOS. CPU-z sees 1.265 @ idle and 1.280 @ full load. Temps peaked @ 72 72 71 67 during OCCT 1 hour test. Really pleased with it all.

post-31286-1252769563_thumb.jpg

Still have to see the lowest memory timing I can get stable and the fastest overall memory speed these sticks can get to. After that I'll try getting the QPI link speed raised and try a new suicide screenshot and Super-Pi 1M score.

EDIT: hit 4630Mhz for a suicide screenshot and I think I'm done trying for any more at the moment. Posted it in the 1366 OC Competition thread.

Edited by rourkchris

4630Mhz Suicide Screenshot and 8.45s Super-Pi 1M seems to be the second highest score in the 1156/1366 overclocking competition thread beating out water cooling and only behind Roadrunner's Phase cooled W3520. Not bad for air cooling. I'm sure some 1156 i860s and i870s may come in and beat that down the road. I plan to give it a try soon myself with an i860.