Whats wrong? CPU Failing? HD failing?!?

Assassin X

I haven't had anything fail in over 10+ years so I feel lucky. About two days ago I posted I had a trojan. Well I took care of it and now I have a problem. And I am not sure if its a hardware issues or software because the trojan that was deleted, deleted something useful.

So my computer first of all now takes 20 minutes to boot up. Theres an occasionally weird click/power down kinda noise coming from something in the tower. No its not the hard drive click of doom I know what that sounds like. Every minute or so my computer freezes up for a few seconds then goes back to normal. Sometimes I click something and its random on when it will load. I defragged, scandisked, scanned for viruses....etc. I don't know what else to do.

I took this screenshot of what was going on to show what is going on. BTW my CPU bar says only thing at 99% CPU is only the normal old Sytem Idle Process and yet in thsi picture you can see the CPU still manages to spike up to max somehow! Theres also a high pitched whirling that rather silent sometimes as noted in the picture that slows down the PC too.

statsv.jpg

I'd put my money on the hard drive.. those random system hangs most likely come from the hard drive...

Also, repair installing XP or a complete reinstall might also be a viable option to wipe the hdd clean of any remaining fragments of that trojan...

Just my thoughts....

• 3 months later...

I had the same problem with my old computer!! I just just replaced it with a new computer which I have right now, and just left the old one. occasionally it was used when someone else was on this one. I did try repair XP on the CD but it didn't make a difference. I reckon now it was a hardware failure.