SSD 4 x RAID 0 worth it or not?

I have now just a single WD Velociraptor right now and its showing 103 MB/s average, 125 max, 77 MB min, 7.1 access, 176.9 MB/s burst, CPU usage -1%

How the hell is your Caviar getting 110 MB/s beating my velociraptor... is mine defective or something?

oh and mind you I ran the test on it as a secondary drive, not as primary (operating system) so my numbers should be even better...

Well I looked up some reviews and they showed my drives anywhere from 98MB/s to 110MB/s in average read speed and a Maxishine one showed your 300GB Raptors doing 108MB/s average and 151MB/s RAID 0 128k stripe and 175MB/s 64k stripe. My drives are 64k stripe fyi.

Really the only reason I see a Raptor would do better than these Caviars is their access time is slightly lower. Not worth the nearly 3x price tag and half the space if you ask me :rolleyes:

Edited by XxHellxRaizerxX

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I looked up some reviews and they showed my drives anywhere from 98MB/s to 110MB/s in average read speed and a Maxishine one showed your 300GB Raptors doing 108MB/s average and 151MB/s RAID 0 128k stripe and 175MB/s 64k stripe. My drives are 64k stripe fyi.

Really the only reason I see a Raptor would do better than these Caviars is their access time is slightly lower. Not worth the nearly 3x price tag and half the space if you ask me :rolleyes:

Yes this really makes no sense, the velociraptor is getting pummled by SSD's now that are coming down in pricing, and now even by their own cheaper hard drives.. lmao.. anyways I had 2 of them, just sold the other for 250, waiting for someone to buy this one now. I have 3 Crucial SSD 64 GB being delivered to me to be set up in RAID 0, should be here tuesday, i will HD Tune those and post on here. 450 MB/s write speed is the goal. Using 500 GB drives for back ups, so doesnt matter for space.

Btw, anyone who says it's not worth it to RAID 0 mechanical drives is talking non-sense imo. These were getting maybe 110MB/s alone so this is a vast improvement.

The bandwidth doesn't matter anywhere near as much as the access times. RAID 0 helps little to none in load times and such because while the sustained bandwidth is higher the access times stay the same.

I used to run a triple-drive RAID 0 setup that would get well over 200 MB/s...but load times were damn near identical to a single drive when I actually tested it. SSDs on the other hand actually gain pretty significant benefits from running in RAID 0 because the bandwidth is the limiting factor, not the access latency.

Just got my Crucial SSD 64 GB drives, I just tested 1 of them on Hd TUNE got a

max of 215.8 MB/s,

Minimum of 20.2 MB/s

average 192.4 MB/s

access time = 0.1 ms

burst rate 187.2 MB/s

CPU usage -1%

That minimum scares the hell out of me, it was at like 20 to 45 MB/s from 82% to 94% I will post pics and then pics of this in RAID 0 all 3 of the drives on the new motherboard.

Is this normal for SSD??

im running this on Windows 7 RC 64 bit build 7100, and HD TUNE (not full version)

Okay... got the new motherboard, the one I mentioned, Gigabyte EP45-UD3P and have the 3 Crucial 64 GB SSD's in RAID 0 running 64 kb block

Windows 7 RC 64 bit

My read speed is average 280 mb/s

min speed is 118 mb/s

Max speed is 320 MB/s

access 0.1

cpu usage -1%

burst rate 178.2 mb/s

What gives??? I am using the Intel raid controller onboard, but come on... it cant be just because im using onboard raid... I mean 3 drives into 1 and im only seeing a 40% gain in average

I should have seen like 600 MB/s max, since each drive adds on perfectly to the total... bleh, any suggestions whats wrong?

I heard SSDs are horribly slow at writing small files. What if you set them to the highest possible stripe blocks?

Unfortunately, you're going to lose all the data though.

Edited by supergeek101

I heard SSDs are horribly slow at writing small files. What if you set them to the highest possible stripe blocks?

Unfortunately, you're going to lose all the data though.

Well considering i have just done a clean install, I dont see a problem in setting it to 128 kb stripe... but really i thought 64 kb was supposed to be the best option for SSD.

Anyways despite the Hd tune benchmarks, this system is FLYING, like I mean im installing stuff and sayin like WOAH its finished??? So dont care what Hd tune says, they can suck a lemon, these SSD's are beasts lmao

(I can always return for a full refund, I have retailer status so dont pay restocking fees, so its not like im just in denile and feeling the speed only cuz I paid for it lol)

I too have been considering the change to SSD over my velociraptors, but after a few hours of research I decided at this point in time it's not really that big of a difference for me, so I have decided to stay with the raptors, though I will likely add another 2 to my raid, and play around with a few different cluster sizes, to max out their performance over just hitting default on everything as i did with the current raid i have them in. What got me thinking about the SSD change and the higher price was this video

, but if you pay close attention at the end they give you alot of info on how they did it. For me with 4 velociRaptors, and just leave them on the crappy on board controller I think I will be satisfied at least until the SSD's get cheaper. Once the good 256gb ssd's get in the 200 dollar range i'll make the change. I think in that video at first they had them all on one controller card and was only getting like 1000mb/s so they split them to 2 controller cards and it jumped it to 1700ish mb/s and then split it down even more to include the on board controller as well to get their 2gb/s number. The future looks interesting for the SSD market, I can't wait to see what happens, hopefully they will become more cost effective soon. They are close now.

Okay... got the new motherboard, the one I mentioned, Gigabyte EP45-UD3P and have the 3 Crucial 64 GB SSD's in RAID 0 running 64 kb block

Windows 7 RC 64 bit

My read speed is average 280 mb/s

min speed is 118 mb/s

Max speed is 320 MB/s

access 0.1

cpu usage -1%

burst rate 178.2 mb/s

What gives??? I am using the Intel raid controller onboard, but come on... it cant be just because im using onboard raid... I mean 3 drives into 1 and im only seeing a 40% gain in average

I should have seen like 600 MB/s max, since each drive adds on perfectly to the total... bleh, any suggestions whats wrong?

There's something wrong...I'm getting numbers close to that with a single drive (though my minimum is MUCH higher).

There's something wrong...I'm getting numbers close to that with a single drive (though my minimum is MUCH higher).

I am using these as my operating system by the way, it affects it, but I dont think that much.

Could TRIM be affecting my performance? I know its meant to increase performance, but could some SSD's be no supported by TRIM??

Edited by horseboy666

Nevermind, it is Indilinx.

Could TRIM be affecting my performance? I know its meant to increase performance, but could some SSD's be no supported by TRIM??

It's not currently enabled

Edited by Zertz