5870 price range

N.E.A

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will tell you that the 5870 is just as loud when you adjust the fan speed to 100%. But the noise is more of air movement through a restricted orfice vs the fan whine on earlier cards. It is loud though no bones about it.

From past experience the TOXIC and Atomic cards do scale better from Sapphire. The TOXIC and Atomic HD4890s i have are the 2 highest clocking 4890s I have played with. The same went for the 4870 versions. If past history is an indicater i can say with some degree of certainty that the Toxic and Atomic versions will clock better and feature improved cooling.

From past experience the TOXIC and Atomic cards do scale better from Sapphire. The TOXIC and Atomic HD4890s i have are the 2 highest clocking 4890s I have played with. The same went for the 4870 versions. If past history is an indicater i can say with some degree of certainty that the Toxic and Atomic versions will clock better and feature improved cooling.

that is exactly what i meant ..........:)

thanks coke man :thumbs-up: .........:)

Edited by N.E.A

yes some sites and forums :P

4850/4870/4890 cooler are not as good as 5870/5850 :P

at least the new cooler covers the whole card and maybe this time the card can be cooler with less noise

i saw 4870/4890 toxic / atomic overclock like crazy , so definitely the toxic and atomic (5800) will have the same overclocking potential

as the 4800 :closedeyes:

as for 4800 coolers i never recommend getting the stock cooler card unless you do not plan on overclocking and noise is not a big deal for ya

but since these cards are 40nm this number means that the cards will run cooler maybe quitter depending on the fan

and perhaps it will have a great overclocking potential ................

i did not give statement about toxic and atomic . i just made a prediction ..................:)

this does not mean you can not overclock with the stock cooler

i meant if you care about heat and noise at the same time

IVI`s 4890 (stock) is overclocked and the fan runs at auto which i think 40%

in his topic he said he could get the fan speed higher than 40% but it sounds crazy .........

This all sits outside of a case so keep that in mind and what I think is loud or quiet is subjective and you may find things different to your tastes. At 40% it's still audible but not much. At 35% there is very little noise. I run the fan @ 50% daily and it's audible. At 100% there is of course a ton of noise-like a hairdryer. I think it's slightly less noise than the original 4870 stock cooler. This new stock cooler seems to perform better than the old but that could have to do with the 40nm fabrication.

I ran benchmarks back-to-back and took a screenshot after each run with CCC open showing temps with the fan speed at 100%. They all show 38C immediately after running 3DMark 2001SE, 2003, 2006, and Vantage. This was at overclock settings of 900/1300. There was only enough time taken between benchmarks to take a screenshot and save it. Temps are looking real good to me. Pics are available in the 3DMark competition thread. Highest temp I've seen with the fan at 50% immediately after gaming for 1 hour is 48C.

Another thing to keep in mind is the stock cooler pushes air out the back but also out the top-rear which would vent inside your case.

As far as overclocking the 5870 that's going to have to wait to really get the overclocks very high. 900/1300 is the limit with CCC and RivaTuner and GPU Tool aren't supporting this card yet. My card hits the max on both and does so without any artifacting. If overclocking the 5870 is a priority then the Asus model is your best option. It offers voltage tweaking right out of the box. I don't know what software they offer in the box(or if any) to take advantage of the voltage tweaking capabilities. No personal experience there. It does look promising though. Meanwhile I'm waiting for a driver update from AMD/ATI to increase the overclocking capabilities.

Sapphire has a video on their site introducing the 5870 and towards the end the presenter holds up a vapor-x model I believe. It will likely be out soon. I'm not concerned with displaying the cards visually and the temps seem quite nice with the current stock cooler so it fits my needs. I likely won't buy vapor-x models of this card. Still waiting on the cards to come back in stock so I can add another.

This all sits outside of a case so keep that in mind and what I think is loud or quiet is subjective and you may find things different to your tastes. At 40% it's still audible but not much. At 35% there is very little noise. I run the fan @ 50% daily and it's audible. At 100% there is of course a ton of noise-like a hairdryer. I think it's slightly less noise than the original 4870 stock cooler. This new stock cooler seems to perform better than the old but that could have to do with the 40nm fabrication.

I ran benchmarks back-to-back and took a screenshot after each run with CCC open showing temps with the fan speed at 100%. They all show 38C immediately after running 3DMark 2001SE, 2003, 2006, and Vantage. This was at overclock settings of 900/1300. There was only enough time taken between benchmarks to take a screenshot and save it. Temps are looking real good to me. Pics are available in the 3DMark competition thread. Highest temp I've seen with the fan at 50% immediately after gaming for 1 hour is 48C.

Another thing to keep in mind is the stock cooler pushes air out the back but also out the top-rear which would vent inside your case.

As far as overclocking the 5870 that's going to have to wait to really get the overclocks very high. 900/1300 is the limit with CCC and RivaTuner and GPU Tool aren't supporting this card yet. My card hits the max on both and does so without any artifacting. If overclocking the 5870 is a priority then the Asus model is your best option. It offers voltage tweaking right out of the box. I don't know what software they offer in the box(or if any) to take advantage of the voltage tweaking capabilities. No personal experience there. It does look promising though. Meanwhile I'm waiting for a driver update from AMD/ATI to increase the overclocking capabilities.

Sapphire has a video on their site introducing the 5870 and towards the end the presenter holds up a vapor-x model I believe. It will likely be out soon. I'm not concerned with displaying the cards visually and the temps seem quite nice with the current stock cooler so it fits my needs. I likely won't buy vapor-x models of this card. Still waiting on the cards to come back in stock so I can add another.

these are pretty cool temps but with noise

but i still believe that ati made decent improvements to the cooler or why it is so big i read it is 10.8. 4800 was like 9.5 or some thing around that .

yes i did forget about the drivers , but they will not rest till they do some thing with it , right ..?

asus offers pretty sweet overclocking utilities ............:D

Edited by N.E.A

blower fans do not work that way, the air comes in from the top of the card (where you see the fan) and goes out the sides. so air will only come out of those vents.

yes i know that , but can not air get threw these wholes ....?

yes i know that , but can not air get threw these wholes ....?

I don't think it would really matter because it wouldent go past the GPU so would not help keep the card cool. If anthing I think it would hurt because that air would just be blowing back into the case instead of being routed through the GPU heatsink.

I agree the vents at the front are purely cosmetic. They serve no functional purpose. Ther're mostly blocked off but small openings are there but they lead to the back of the fan housing. No air is being drawn in or vented out. Air through the vents couldn't reach the fan to be blown across the internal heatsink.