unique cooling conundrum

Dear Overclockers!

I come to ask for suggestions to this problem I've accumulated... I have this relatively crappy DELL xps410 (2.4GHz core2duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD + 640GB WD caviar, new ATi Sapphire 48901GB video, logitech G9 mouse (yay), wireless keyboard, 2ms Samsung monitor, evill-e vista 32bit), see, pretty standard.

Some time ago I bought a AVer PCIe tuner card (because I wanted to watch TV on PC and my TV does not have a digital tuner it turns out (but that's another story, involving my stupidity)) and based on reviews, the AVer was relatively good. Well it wasn't. It conked out in 31 days (seems convenient doesn't it? the return period for newegg is 30 days.) Well I contacted AVerMedia and they replaced the card because it had a 1 year warranty. (I know now that a USB tuner would've alliveated most of the problems I'm having, but hindsight is always 20/20.)

The problem: the AVer card gets HOT with all caps. I do not have the exact figures, as I got nothing to measure it with, but at the end of the day, the backplate on the PCIe is nearly untouchable. The situation is this: my tower stands basicly open on one side as the new PSU cannot fit all the wires INSIDE. I have no aftermarket fans/coolings. The AVer, due to a lack of PCIe slots, sits right under the brand-spanking-new video card, which pisses me off to no end. I'm afraid something bad's gonna happen.

Can you please rocommend some sort of a cooling mechanism as it relates to my unique situation, lack of space, knowledge, and PCIe slots?

I thank you for all your input

take off side panel, take 12" house fan (or larger) and point it directly at the general area of the vids and PCIe tuner card...

sounds like your case is too small.....

some good cable management and additional fannage should help quite a bit.....spend some quality time making your box clean.....

there is no magic pill, it takes some dedication on your part...get to work....

laterzzzz............

the side pannel is already off - the PSU cables hang out the side. yes, the case is small. 12" fan? did you mean 12 cm?

is there anything I should know about compatibility?

*edit* where would I find something like that?

Edited by Crawlerz246

Have you thought about a new case? Might be the solution to your heat problem and your wire management problem. Something like an Antec 1200 maybe.

yes I have. IF I buy a case, though, I'll have to buy everyhting else, i.e. cpu, mobo, RAM, etc. while I already picked out most of this stuff, I ain't ready to buy yet. (my build will be i7 920 with some trimmings, pretty tame but cool nevertheless).

about a fan - I think I'll buy this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835103022 two fans. not incredible - but hey - I dont wanna spend any on THIS clucker.

hey, maybe I'll get a government clunker rebate...

12" fan>house fan, running off 120v....

dude, you are running a hot, hotter than he!! vid car with what sounds like a very hot running AV card....yes, you could have gotten a USB tuner, but many have problems with audio being slightly out of sync with vid.......

what you are doing is akin to jamming a Hemi into a VW chassis with hardly any proper ventilation....

a 12" or larger 120v house fan, properly aimed, will solve yer problem on the cheap....

laterzzzz.................

Edited by bldegle2

12" fan>house fan, running off 120v....

where does one find such a fan? you don't mean a regular household fan do you? you mean a tower fan, right? I've never heard of one that big. sorry for the idiocy.

Edited by Crawlerz246

He means a house fan it doesnt have to be 12 inches as long as it moves some air and can be pointed at your case it will work.

Something like this.

511NKu7%20rXL._SS500_.jpg

I think I sort of knew what you were talking about as I found a smaller fan and plugged it in and pointed it right into the tuner's location - it got colder. it stands on the floor and is plugged in where all my plugs are taken (a two to six splitter is full). so I'll need to find a better solution. this has to be temporary

p.s. if right now the situation is that one of my tower's walls are off, is it better to blow air "in" or "out" of the tower? or does it even matter?

take off side panel, take 12" house fan (or larger) and point it directly at the general area of the vids and PCIe tuner card...

sounds like your case is too small.....

some good cable management and additional fannage should help quite a bit.....spend some quality time making your box clean.....

there is no magic pill, it takes some dedication on your part...get to work....

laterzzzz............

Bad idea for long term use. Box fans are not shielded AT ALL, and release all kinds of nasty EMI.

Fine for short benchmarking sessions, but hardly a good long term solution. I suggest the obvious...install some fans in that case! I am sure a basic intake and exhaust fan would help tremendously.

"Bad idea for long term use. Box fans are not shielded AT ALL, and release all kinds of nasty EMI."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

he wanted cheap....never meant it to be a permanent solution...EMI can be lessoned a bit by making sure the fan is placed a bit away from the open side, it doesn't have to be up against the side, the 120v do blow a large amount of air even set back 18" or further....

since PS wires are bulging out of present case, added the heat from two cards, both heat monsters....>>>>>at a certain point the turkey is stuffed...

good luck...

laterzzzzz.........................