Help to OC Phenom II X3 720 to 4.0

dcl

HI,

I'm trying to get 4.0 with my Phenom II X3 720 and it keeps rebooting or fails. Right now I'm at 3315Mhz and I do know I can go to 3.5 but 4.0 is my target for a suicide shot.

I have put watercooling in it so I can try 4.0 so what I would like to know is what do I need to change besides the Voltage would I do something to the ACC to? Back to the voltage, besides the CPU V what other voltage would I change too and how high do I go? :unsure:

Here is what I have it clock at right now.

CPU RATIO X13

CPU NB FREQ. X9 2295

CPU FREQ. 255

HT LINK WIDTH 16 bit

HT LINK FREQ. X9 2295

MAMORY CLOCK X5.33 1356

THE REST OF THE MEM IS AT STOCK

DDR3 V 1.8 THAT IS MAX

SB/HT V +0.2

NB/PCIe/PLL V +0.1

CPU V 2.500

NB V 1.220

CPU NB VID +0.200

CPU V +0.150

Thanks for any help some one can give.

Edited by dcl

If you can't even post at 4 GHz using just the multiplier to overclock (why are you boosting the FSB on an unlocked CPU?) you won't make it to Windows...

If you can't even post at 4 GHz using just the multiplier to overclock (why are you boosting the FSB on an unlocked CPU?) you won't make it to Windows...

Originally I had the multiplier at X16 and the FSB at stock, around a minute give or take it crashed after boot up, and I couldn't find the problem as I did all kinds of tests and all the test past with no errors. So I decided to change those two which stopped the crashing. I would like to keep the FSB at stock but to keep it at 3.3Mhz I had to do those changes. If you have any suggestions I'm all ears.

Ether I got an oddball or none of the 720 doesn't like high multiplier.

Most reviews of the 720 get a max OC of 3.7-3.8GHz, so you'd probably have to have LN2 or a X3 TWKR to reach past that :lol:

Mine didnt OC as well as i thought it was gonna either, I'm sitting at 3.4GHz w/ 1.5v right now, and temps are good, so I'm happy with it..

But anyway, what is your voltage at now? I knwo you listed it but 2.5v cant be right :ph34r: are you at 1.5v?

And I agree with Waco, just use the multiplier, once you start messing with the FSB you alter RAM, HTT, and NB speeds and that can contribute to instability.

Once you find a stable cpu speed with the multi and appropriate voltage, then you should play with the NB speed and the CPU-NB voltage.

...then you might be able to push the cpu a bit more.

I suggest reading Dolk's Guide, if you haven't already. He goes over the PII's architecture and what everything does, and made my first serious OC attempt much less of a headache.

Most reviews of the 720 get a max OC of 3.7-3.8GHz, so you'd probably have to have LN2 or a X3 TWKR to reach past that :lol:

Mine didnt OC as well as i thought it was gonna either, I'm sitting at 3.4GHz w/ 1.5v right now, and temps are good, so I'm happy with it..

But anyway, what is your voltage at now? I knwo you listed it but 2.5v cant be right :ph34r: are you at 1.5v?

And I agree with Waco, just use the multiplier, once you start messing with the FSB you alter RAM, HTT, and NB speeds and that can contribute to instability.

Once you find a stable cpu speed with the multi and appropriate voltage, then you should play with the NB speed and the CPU-NB voltage.

...then you might be able to push the cpu a bit more.

I suggest reading Dolk's Guide, if you haven't already. He goes over the PII's architecture and what everything does, and made my first serious OC attempt much less of a headache.

My voltage is at 1.456 on CPU-Z that 2.5 is the CPU PLL Voltage I for got to add the PLL on.

I would like to use the multiplier only but I crash about a minute after boot up, I had the multiplier at X16 and the FSB at stock and the voltage was 1.5 which gave me 3.3Mhz. See when the the PC was switched on about 24 hears later it crashed after the first boot up, after it booted back up it was stable and that was with all the testing too. Now with it at it now it's stable. :unsure:

I'm going to look at Dolk's Guide, I didn't know it was don.

Hi guys, well my FSB is at stock and I'm running it at 3.4Mhz and it's very stable. :D

I Want to thank you fearspartan117 for giving the link to Dolk's guide it helped a lot, and thanks Waco for responding. :thumbs-up:

if you can't break 3.5 with water cooling you are doing it wrong.

I haven't tried it yet with water cooling, I did it with air though. Once I have more time to do it I was going to try it at 3.9. :unsure: With fingers crossed.

Yes at first I was doing it wrong, now I am on the right track.

Edited by dcl

I am running my 720 at around 3.4ghz and I am on stock voltage and stock heatsink.

after your multiplier is stable u can raise the FSB in small increments (like 2-5), once you get your water setup I hope you can get to 3.7 with raised CPU voltage.

remember to mess with each tweak separately, for instance, don't raise the northbridge and at the same time change the RAM speed.

2200 seems safe for the northbridge, when you go over this you might start to get some BSOD.

:thumbs-up:

I am running my 720 at around 3.4ghz and I am on stock voltage and stock heatsink.

after your multiplier is stable u can raise the FSB in small increments (like 2-5), once you get your water setup I hope you can get to 3.7 with raised CPU voltage.

remember to mess with each tweak separately, for instance, don't raise the northbridge and at the same time change the RAM speed.

2200 seems safe for the northbridge, when you go over this you might start to get some BSOD.

:thumbs-up:

I'll keep that in mind. I'm going to post my results at Official Socket AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 Overclocking Competition Thread once I do it I'll all so post it here to. I might do it this weekend.